I have had epilepsy surgery about 2 years ago, and have done really well with no seizures since. All at once I have been having aspiration pneumonia. The cause has not been determined. It could be a reflux problem. I have been taking meds for this for several years,or I am wondering if it could be night seizures. I wake up with a bit lip, not tongue and no recollection of any event happening nor any other things such as bladder loss, etc. My question is it possible to have had one type of seizure (simple complex) before the surgery, and a different type a couple years after with no other warning. If anyone has any experience or insight I would appreciate it. %-) %-)

You should consult with your Physician or Surgeon of gain access to your Medical Records for specifics. Epilepsy Surgery can be classified according to the region of the brain most effected. An example of the type of surgeries are temporal lobe and extratemporal. Furthermore, the cause of the seizures plays a significant role in the outcomes.

For example, if your seizures were due to a temporal lesion (appearing as a tumor), total absence of seizures are associated with a well-resceted lesion. However, for the most part, seizures returning after 2 – 5 years after surgery is quite common.

Nonetheless, in your Surgeons eye, if they can greatly reduce the frequency or lessen debilitating seizures, they have served their purpose and their operating is not in vein. With that in mind, you should consult with your Physician with your concerns. He will have to determine whether early surgical intervention yielded a better health-related quality-of-life (HRQL) outcome than medical treatment.

The first thing to do is to find out if you are having seizures or not. If you have no one to watch over you while you sleep, try video taping your self or make a audio recording of your self while you sleep. This could be the first step in determining whether we are have a problem with you having seizures or just having severe night mares. It is always a good idea to consult with your Physician for a complete evaluation.

The added used of a MRI or CAT Scan can do wonders in revealing the cause of seizures. You should also pay close attention to the leaflets that comes in the packages along with your medications. Many times, they can cause side effects, such as seizures and are over-looked. However, blood tests can also be of assistance. They can uncover infections lurking deep within the human body causing seizures. This is even more reason you should see your Doctor.

Hope this answers your question!

REFERENCE(S):

1. Erasmo A. Passaro, M.D., 2006. Outcome of Epilepsy Surgery. eMedicine Clinical Reference, emedicine.com/neuro/TOPIC507.HTM