My friend from school has encephalitis. My parents explained that it’s a kid of brain infection and that usually is caused by viruses. But my friend told me that you can get encephalitis when you have cold sores. I can believe in it. Could cold sores be blamed for encephalitis?

Yes, you can. In most cases encephalitis is generally a viral illness. Viruses which are responsible for causing cold sores can also cause encephalitis. Herpes simplex virus type 1 (HSV-1) is name of virus that causes cold sores or fever blisters around your mouth. This kind of encephalitis is really very rare but it can be very dangerous.

Rickey...since this post is over a year ago, have you ever gotten any more info on this matter. Can the cold sore HSV-1 cause encephalitis and can it be transmitted from human to canine??? Thanks.