Hi. A friend from my school was diagnosed with juvenile myoclonic epilepsy. I know what some things about epilepsy. I know people with epilepsy have seizures. However, I don`t know anything about myoclonic epilepsy. What is that?

Hi. Juvenile myoclonic epilepsy is a genetic condition that occurs in people aged 8 to 20 years. Persons with myoclonic epilepsy have normal IQ. My son suffers from myoclonic epilepsy. He is only 11 years old. He usually has his seizures just after waking. He is on the ketogenic diet now. He has to eat large quantities of fat. For example, bacon, butter and eggs are his favorite meal. He also like diluted cream. I`ve been reading many kids stay on the diet for two years and never have another seizure ever again. However, the doctor told me the prognosis for myoclonic epilepsy is bad. Most of the children are retarded.

I am a 35 year old woman who was diagnosed with juvenile myoclonic epilepsy at the age of 12. I have a career, I drive everyday, and I finished college. I am not retarded. I have been married for almost six years. I am on Depakote and Phenobarbital. My seizures have been controlled for about nine years now. Being diagnosed with juvenile myoclonic epilepsy is not always bleak. Yes, it is for the rest of my life but I see it as it could always be worse. Children really are not part of my life. But, I do other things in my life that would make my life happy. I travel alot and I have a very successful career. Don't give up out there.