Hello, folks. My cousin has been diagnosed with epilepsy. I know that several years ago she suffered from meningitis. I wonder if this infection could cause her epilepsy. I would really appreciate if you could tell me something more. I hope someone will answer my post. Thank you in advance, guys.

Hello, there. Meningitis can cause epilepsy as a complication. However, this is not so common. Only 4% of all cases with meningitis will develop epilepsy. Maybe this is the case with your cousin. However, you cannot be sure. Maybe there are some other factors that contributed to this. You can consult her doctor. Good luck with this! Bye!

Hello, everyone. I would agree with the previous post. However, I would also add something. Meningitis can spread to the brain parenchyma and cause encephalitis. Encephalitis is the one that can cause epilepsy. I agree that this is not so frequent. You should seek for other causes that might lead to this epilepsy. I hope everything will be all right. Bye!

Good evening, folks. You shouldn’t forget tropical countries. Parasites can form cysts full with fluid. These cysts can be big and make pressure to the surrounding brain tissue. This can lead to epilepsy. In any case, I would recommend you to consult an expert about this. You must all together try to find the solution. I hope everything will be all right. Good luck! Bye!

Any brain damage can potentially create, or aggrevate epilepsy.

(maybe with the exeption of parkinson and dementia which both can alleviate epilepsy through the removal of neuron connections and the slowing of brain pulses, as wel as the death of braincells through (for example) exessive drinking (Korsakov).

Ronald

dear lallu i am very concerned abt ur cousin....I am renowned gynaecologist Dr Rubin lallu from NAIHS . ya of course no need to worry..its mainly due to severe complication of myoclonic severe complication of partial tonic clonic febrile seizures. you can use a combinatin of drug of Phenytoin IV 10mg stat and slow IM infusion of oxcarbazepime and even the patient doesn't respond then tab of thiopentone sodium IV promptly....if possible bring to my clinic at Lallu Clinic for Meningitis, Bhandarkhal,Kathmandu. ok bye