Hi, my son has not been feeling well lately. He has scratchiness in his throat and painful swallowing. I am wondering could it be just a sore, or is it something more serious.

Hi, scratchiness and painful swallowing are the symptoms of sore throat. However, this condition is often followed by flu or a cold. I think that you should take your son to doctor to prevent developing of something more serious. Sore throat is usually dry and scratchy, and cold is little different- it is characterized by sneezing, cough, low fever and watery eyes. Many things can cause sore throat, like viruses and bacteria, smoking, breathing polluted air and allergies. If sore throat is caused by viruses, antibiotics won’t work. They work only for bacterial infections. For viruses work only vitamins, lots of hot tea, and time-at least a weak.