For the past week i have suffered with a sore throat, headache, and overall achy feeling. This morning i woke up with a fever, congestion, and cough. My right ear 'pops' every time i swollow. Should I see a doctor or is there an at home/over the counter remedy?

I always prefer to see a doctor when something like this occurs. Because we never can tell if the sore throat and accompanied symptoms are caused by virus or bacteria, I like to see a doctor about it and be sure.

The main reason I always do this is because if it were virus, then I would just have to sit at home, rest, drink warm fluids, etc and if it were bacteria, then I would have to take antibiotics.

Many people just take antibiotics anyway, although it is a viral infection. Virus can’t be cured with antibiotics and there is no need to take antibiotic drugs if you are suffering from a viral infection.

There are some antiviral antibiotics used for influenza but you would have to discuss this with your doctor.

oh yes,yes you should see the doctor. I had the same problems and i still do. :-(

did anyone figure out what the problem was? was it just a cold or something? cause i have the same thing and i don't really feel like hittingthe doctors

it could be tonsillitis. Tonsillitis is characterized by red, swollen tonsils. You may also notice white patches on the tonsils. Other signs and symptoms of tonsillitis include:

* Severe sore throat
* Difficult or painful swallowing
* Headache
* Fever and chills
* Enlarged, tender glands (lymph nodes) in the jaw and neck
* Loss of voice

sounds like strep

I have the same thing -- July 31 in Pennsylvania. It started with a severe sore throat, then sore throat and headache, now serious blinding headache from the back of my neck to my sinus cavities abouve my eyebrows, but very little congestion. Sore throat's mostly gone but overall aches all night long -- no fever. Whatever it is, 3 ibuprofen and 2 cups of coffee aren't even touching the headache and overall aches. What is this thing??

August i had the same symptoms!!! I also live in PA....sudden onset of severe sore throat...felt like i was swallowing glass , no congestion, same bad headaches mild but steady fevers...even rash not allergic rash but more like fever rash. STILL holding on to symptoms without sore throat but lethargic & sometimes disoriented but i think that is when fever is up. had 2 courses of azithromyocin but not sure it helped.

All of these symptoms are pretty generic and the cause could really stem from anything from a cold, to the flu, strep, mono, etc. Your best bet is to just treat the symptoms with REST, FLUIDS, TYLENOL and REST, REST, REST. If symptoms persist or worsen then you should consult a doctor to see if you have a bacterial infection of sorts or a virus of sorts. That way they can perscribe treatments accordingly. Good thing is that if you start self-treating a virus/bacterial problem early enough you can usually get rid of it all on your own... NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF SLEEPING!

These are the symptoms of Strep throat, with or without antibiotics it takes usually 3 to 7 days to go away Just Boil water with salt but gargle it When its warm it wont taste good though.

Don't worry all you have is a virus. Give or take one week and you should feel better

you could have mono.you pretty much have all the symptoms.these are some of them:
fatigue
sore throat
headache
chills
sweaty

i have pretty much the same thing but it started with a sore throat for two days the next morning i got woke up at 5:50 am from an earache and took ibeprofen and got some sleep then when i was trying to sleep later that night i got woke up in the morning by another earache... and sore throat the next morning i got woke up by a sever sore throat now i have a low fever congestion and SEVERE sore throat im going to the doctor in a week though please tell me what this is????

Its basicly a virus, or it may be something else. i may be wrong. i have had a sickness like that and my techniques helped me go through the sickness without taking medication or seeing the doctor. if you have a sore throat, pop in a mint or a mint candy into your mouth and suck on it, make sure you swallow, the more you swallow the faster the sore throat will fade away. ear popping, well im not sure, clean your ears, if not i would recommend to let it pass. headaches and fevers are always a problem. the wierd thing is it gets so severe for me that i start laughing out of no where. once the sore throat passes tell your body to cool down. do it by sleeping. for me the headaches sooth and fade when i lay. congestion, lay down on the opposite side ( if its nasal congestion ) so lets say my left nostril of my nose is congested, i would sleep on my right side. but becareful, the nostrils will switch being congested. if your afraid simply take medication, if it gets severe go to the doctor. dont ask us its your responsibility to take care of yourself.

I hoped it passed with some of my tips

My little brother has a fever, headache, and sore throat. His cough is very hoarse and we want to know if we should send him to a doctor. He has chest pain too and he is always sleeping. It is not like him to lay down and just fall asleep. He is always really hyper, and out of control. I want the real him back. Should we see a Doctor?