My son was diagnosed with farengitis and I am not sure that this is written good. Anyway, he had some problems with his throat so I took him to his doctor. I would appreciate if you could tell me more about this. Thanks

Pharyngitis or sore throat is the inflammation of the pharynx (throat) that extends from the nasal passages above and behind the mouth to the esophagus. Esophagus is the tube that carries food to the stomach and it is located in the neck. Pharyngitis occurs most commonly with a viral upper respiratory infection (URI) but it is also symptomatic of a number of diseases like diphtheria, mononucleosis and acute HIV infection. When a patient has Pharyngitis swallowing can be difficult or painful. Also, the throat may feel scratchy appear to be red, swollen, or puffy and have white spots of purulent exudates. Fever and cough are also common and examination may reveal swollen tonsils. They may be covered with white or gray exudates (pus). Sore throat related to viral URI usually resolves without medication and gargling with warm salt-water and taking acetaminophen may relieve pain and reduce swelling. However, bacterial pharyngitis is treated with antibiotics.