5 days ago I got a soar throat, and I am fairly sure I caught it by a fellow student of mine, who claimed he had Strep Throat (but this particular student is about the dimmest person I know (as aposed to being bright; smart), and many, many people agree, so he very well could of just had a soar throat). This later turned into a cough and runny nose, which didn't surprise me at all, but now, I'm having neck pains/neck stiffness. I have trouble turning my neck to the left and the right, severe trouble turning it downwards, and not-as-much trouble turning it upwards, and my neck hurts least when I keep it in a stiff, straight position. But still, it constantly hurts.

However, this may of occured the night I got 2 and 1/2 hours of sleep one night, or maybe the 8 hours I spent on the computer 2 days in a row.

Any idea what it's most likely? Is it temporary, do I need help?

I am having almost the same symptoms... did you find anything out?

:cry: I dont know besides a possible lymph nides issue or thyroid problem( hyper, hypo) thyroidism, BUT if the issue is the neck is stiff when u wake up or you notice an occurence of BOTH your neck pain comes on with a sore throat or your throat hurts until you crack your neck...Be aware that there is research out there in conclusion believes this connection is due to a very...very rare condition where your previous neck injury (car accident, whiplash, Exercise Disaster) even down to the way you sleep at night is causing you neck joint touching where your nerves are too close (more to it but...) check out a Professional Chiro as well as try changing how you sleep and try not to sleep on your side.

Sounds like meningitis. This can actually kill you in extreme cases. kidshealth.org/parent/infections/lung/meningitis.html

I am also having a similar problem. I've had a persistent problem with my sinuses, possibly a cold or an infection. Then, one day I woke up and felt pressure in my lungs and a stiff neck. I had thought it might have been due to leaning my head against the wall while taking a bath the night before, but I worry it may be meningitis now. The neck pain went away with rest but returned a week later when I lifted weights. I am doubtful that it is meningitis since I had a meningitis vaccine before going to college. I read, though, that the vaccines only works for the 3 or 4 most common strains, not all of them. I do not seem to have any of the other symptoms for menengitis, which from what I can tell include a fever, drowsiness, dizziness and sensitivity to bright light. Should I wait to see if the problem improves with rest before going to the doctor?

many times along with a cold or other sickness your whole immune system will be diminished this can be a cause of these muscle pains. meningitis has different symptoms than just a sore neck. i would think about getting rid of that cold and the neck pain will go with it..

It is highly unlikely it is meningitis. It is more likely that you have an infection of sorts either bacterial or viral. IN normally healthy ADULTS, Bacterial infections are more sneaky than viruses in a way that bacteria usually gradually comes on with a climbing temperature but then evens out and stays steady( the fever is generally not significantly effected with tylenol or motrin.) Viruses like to BAM! you, they generally take 7-10 days, after exposure, for onset to rear its ugly head and then out of no where you feel horrible, tired, and can have a very high temp which can climb very high but once given motrin drops very quickly until motrin wears off. (For non immuno-compromised normally healthy patients- Using fever controlling meds are not indicated all the time 101.3 & lower generally need to be left alone so the body can use the fever to fight the disease..NOT MEDICAL ADVICE!! 101.3-102.9 you generally can use tylenol, 102.9+ generally can use motrin(in children call a doctor also.) anything over 104 call a doctor; [b]in the instance of higher fevers DO NOT use rubbing alcohol or tonics to cool down and dont take a cold shower. Cooling the body off too quickly can send it into shock and letting a fever get too high can cause a seizure, heart problems and other issues).
That being said, it most likely is either strep, or a sinus infection and possible an upper respiratory infection or URI ( URI is generally viral nut susceptible to bacteria if prolonged). In adults the latter is more common, and yes can cause your symptoms. The adult respiratory tract is all connected. It includes your nose (nostrils), sinuses, throat, trachea (wind pipe), lungs, and bronchial airways. Your sinuses are not just in the front of your face, they are from your nose to your forehead, along your cheekbones, and along your jaw. So now you can see how any kind of inflammation (one of the bodies defenses and alarm systems) and lymph node swelling and tenderness (a defense & alarm system with pain and small nodules along sides of neck, jaw, behind ear, and base of skull and other parts of body- ie armpits & groin...see a dr now if any here!) can cause . Fevers also can cause an inflammatory response as a result (most generally) from patients not getting enough fluid, or an infection involving an organ like a kidney infection for instance. Whether from illness or exercise or not eating right and such, this is called dehydration. This can cause the heart to pump harder and faster which in turn causes the arteries and veins to get bigger but without the fluid needed to keep them flexible, which in turn causes muscles to be sore and cause pain and stiffness. Dehydration can also cause your other organs to work harder meaning you may urinate more(kidneys) and sometimes sweat(skin) This depletes your body not only of the fluid needed to keep your veins and arteries flexible but it also depletes the body of necessary electrolytes (ie: potassium(heart) and sodium etc.). Dehydration once to this point causes the body to becoming more susceptible to disease because your intestines do not have the right balance or fluid for them to aid in healthy immune system functions. So basically you can get much much worse very quickly, especially the elderly and patients already at risk for heart, kidney, brain, or intestinal problems.

In regards to the lung heaviness and tightness, (in non asthmatics, heart patients, elderly, smokers, etc) , the lungs are connected to the bronchial airway which contain little hairs that are a filter for the lungs, when the chest tightens up in relation to a cold or flu type illness, it generally is caused by inflammation because the bronchial airways become inflamed and the bronchi (little hairs) get closer together to keep intruders (virus/bacteri/allergens) from getting to the lungs. This is one immune system response, in the chest. It's what causes us to cough and or can make the chest to feel heavy and tight. Once a "cold" or "flu" or sinus congestion and coughing (upper respiratory infection) moves deeper into your airway and causes chest discomfort it is time to see the doctor. (IF YOU HAVE CHEST PAIN/TIGHTNESS with heart burn, shooting or sharp pain in the shoulder, arm or leg CALL 911 IMMEDIATELY!!

If you have a fever that is uncontrolled for over 24 hrs or it is very high or causes confusion, blurred vision, increased heart rate, dizziness, decreased urine, or you cannot eat or drink then it is time to call the doctor, or if you have a putrid smell coming from your mouth, nose, throat, ears, or skin then you should go to the doctor. The smell is generally a sign of bacteria (a whole other lesson). Make sure to brush your teeth well and if after one hour you or someone else can smell a rotten egg like odor (or worse-almost undescribable) in any of these areas then you NEED to go to the doctor. In addition, if your phlegm, sputum (spit), or "snot" looks creamy (like conditioner) or creamy green (not clear w/lime green streaks or even a little red streaking) then you need to see a dr.

Well I suppose that is way more than enough for now. I hope this helps a little. Like I said this is not any medical advice. There's always other possibilities for your symptoms so do not hesitate to see a dr.

The Bottom Line: We all know our bodies if we listen close enough. If this is not something that is typical for your body then your body may be telling you something. So.... GO SEE A DOCTOR.

So remember to LISTEN FOR ALARMS, SMELL OR FEEL FOR INFECTION OR INFLAMMATION, WATCH FOR WORSENING OR MORE SERIOUS SYMPTOMS - AND OF COURSE-

DRINKS LOTS OF WATER, GET ENOUGH RESTFUL SLEEP, NO ALCOHOL FOR NOW, EAT IF YOU CAN-IF NOT THEN ROOM TEMP JUICE FOR NOW, AND TAKE YOUR VITAMINS.

Peace

Disclaimer: This is not medical advice in any way. It is what I have been taught and due to human nature may have been misconstrued and incorrect. Go see a doctor.

yesterday i started having a sore throat and then i started sneezing and coughing and now i have horrible neck pains! i cant move it right to left and it hurts putting my neck down. my neck doesnt hurt that much up or straight.
did you find anything out? or how to cure this?

thanks

This must be spreading slowly as I have something similar. Started off as a sore throat and was getting a tickly cough at night. Now have a runny nose and my neck hurts if I try to turn it left or right. Never had anything like this before with a cold.

ughh i have the exact same thing, trying to figure out what it is.. thing is ive had it for over 3 weeks, it is NOT meningitis, i would be dead by now :-(

My 5 month old son caught a cold from daycare last week. Well he passed it onto my wife and I this week because now we both have the same cold. Both of us have neck pains like something is shooting up from the base and going into the skull with a constant dull pain attached.

But we both have severe running noses and sore throats also. I'm taking dayquil .. recommended dosage every 4 hours but it's not stopping the congestion totally. I say around 50% at most. It is helping with my sore throat though. The neck pain is still there whether I take dayquil or not.

I've never had neck pain with a cold before so I to am wondering whats going on. Especially since my wife has the same condition I do and my 5 month old son had it last week and is just getting over it. I feel sorry for him if he had to go through what we are going through now. No wonder he hardly slept.

I have shooting pain in my neck to the right side of my skull, alsohot and sweating. Been taking asprin any other suggestions??

I'm so distracted by this original post by the teacher!!! How can you claim this is the dumbest kid claiming to have strep when you can't even spell SORE throat correctly!!! SOAR?? REALLY?? Wow.

Yes. If the OP is a teacher, he/she can't be a very good one, "as aposed" to a bad one.

Anyway, I'm having similar symptoms. my left shoulder feels like it's out of it's socket every time I cough. And my neck is really stiff and tormented...

Been dealing with this since December and am exhausted. Has caused my anxiety to spiral downward and my patience are very limited. Anyone have any more answers? Doctors are not helping me!