Hello! My mother has been recently discovered under-active pituitary gland. She is now under replacement hormone therapy but I noticed she has been very confused and she shows memory loss. She always forgets things and names and sometimes she repeats herself in a conversation. Could this memory loss be caused by under-active pituitary gland?

Hello! Under-active pituitary gland (Hypopituitarism) is a condition which affects the anterior lobe of the pituitary gland. The result is partial or complete loss of functioning of that lobe. Symptoms depend on which hormones are no longer produced by the gland. Some of them are: absent monthly periods, vaginal dryness, infertility, confusion, cold intolerance, weight gain, constipation and dry skin. I don’t think that memory loss is connected to under-active pituitary gland. Many things can cause memory problems. These include depression, dementia, drugs’ side effects, strokes, head injury or alcoholism. You should talk to your mother’s doctor and he will examine her in order to find the cause for her memory loss.