someone i know will go from being completely "normal" to acting as if they are drunk and irrational, even though they have had no alcohol. It is like a light switch and either happens over a period of minutes, or slowly happens during the day. They have had no alcohol at all. Their behaviour completely changes and they do not know what they are doing and once they have come out of this "mood" they cannot remember very much about it, if anything at times. During this "mood" they often act depressive, feeling the world is against them, repeating themselves, and in very extreme times they slur their words and speak jibberish. If they sleep it often goes away and they are fine again, but sometimes it doesn't. It often happens after they have been busy doing things.

Does anyone have any idea what this is? I have searched high and low on the internet for anyone else that suffers from this condition and cannot find any information. Is it some kind of disorder, does it have a name? I need all the information you have possible. Thankyou in advance...

I WOULD SUGGEST THAT YOU HAVE THIS PERSON CHECK THEIR BLOOD SUGAR WHEN THEY START ACTING LIKE THIS. IT COULD BE POSSIBLE THAT THEIR SUGAR IS FLUCTUATING AND THIS COULD MAKE THEM ACT VERY STRANGE. MY DAD IS A DIABETIC AND WHEN HIS SUGAR GETS TO LOW HE STARTS ACTING WEIRD.

Hello, what you just described is exactly the same as the weird symptoms my dad has been having (mainly in the evenings) for the last couple of years. Did you find anything out? Im desparate to know what is causing it, hes like a different person when he is in that state and nothing can get him out of it until he sleeps it off or whatever.

I know this was posted ages ago, but if you do get this message please let me know what you found out. Is it anything to do with blood sugar?

Thanks,

Ellie

Very interested in this. My wife seems to have similar issues, for some time I have thought it was drinking but now I am not convinced and the symptoms above seem very similar. Hope to hear more about this?

My wife has the very same symptoms after she entered 48. During 15-20 days she is normal person. Periodically she has drunk symptoms during 3-6 days. Sometimes this symptoms are very heavy, she can't walk and can't control her bladder. Two times I took her to emergency room, but physicians didn't find any organic problem. They sent us to psychiatric exam. Now she is drinking some pills but it seams it doesn't help. No one can tell us what is the problem. I measured the sugar level during "drunk" times and it was normal. If you have any info about this disorder, please share it.

I am the same Guest from yesterday. After 3 years, today I discovered what is the problem. My wife is alcoholic. Accidentally I catch her drinking and she admitted problem with alcohol. It is interesting how she was good in hiding the problem.

Original poster... Did you ever find out what it was? My mom has the exact same symptoms.

Dear Guest. How old is your mom? If she is about 50, this can be similar to my wife. Over 2 years I was desperate not knowing what is wrong. We visited lot of physicians and passed lot of laboratory tests and no one was able to determine what is wrong. After all it was declared as mild psychiatric illness. Month ago accidentally I catch her drinking. She admitted the problem with alcohol and stop drinking. After that we live normal. Check the blood sugar and pressure. If this is OK, try to catch her drinking.

My partner for 11 yrs now, goes through the exact same thing. Which is how i came upon this, hoping to find a solution. it actually just happen a couple of hours ago, he's currently sleeping it off but it's getting harder to deal with.

I know he hasnt been drinking because there has been times where i'm with him when this 'switch' seem to go off. or on... usually the slurs of words are what happen first then he seems to lose the ability to control his balance and and no longer stand up without having to hold on to something. He gets very irrational when you try to communicate with him, and often is very angry to the point of rage. The part that troubles me the most is he's unable to remember what happen or what he had been saying, it's like a total black out sometimes for him and other times he can only remember bits and pieces and somethings those pieces didnt even happen, even tho he's convinced it did.  

We just recently have friends move in with us, and they had to deal with him like this tonight.. they tell me he should go get checked out and that it's not normal. While it's a very embarrassing situation I'm glad that it wasnt all in my head and it wasnt me who is crazy as this has only happens when it's just the 2 of us. I wish that I could convince him to go get checked out but everytime i bring it up he refuses to go or says it'll never happen again.. like it never happen again tonight.. I really am desperate to find a solution, like everyone else here.. so if anyone can suggest what it can be or what could help him.. it would be greatly appericated

@ NeedsHelp...

My wife andI have also been together for 11 years. What you have discribed is EXACTLY what I deal with. We have checked everything from Sugar to CT Scans. We have moved from our old doctor to to a new noted physician, whom thinks this maybe extended Absentee Seizures. However, they happen so random, that they are hard to test.

Its like her brain shuts down and goes into autopilot. Its pretty scary for us.

Good luck.

You are describing the exact thing happening to my husband!!!!!! what did you find out? please reply.

my husband does the same thing!! I'm soooo frustrated, please let me know what you have found out. 

***Post is edited by moderator *** Private e-mails not allowed***Please read our Terms of Use

My husband has the same issues. It's usually when he comes home from work after driving a lot. His mood is different, sometimes very talkative, or repeats himself, then usually passes out. It's frustrating because he is not the same person. It happens maybe once a week, but I don't know what triggers it.

I have been trawling through the net for such a topic or medical condition re your enquiry. I see it is very old but I wonder if you found any medical reason for this. I have a friend when tired, appears as if she has been drinking though she definately hasn't. Speech becomes slurred, then unsteady of her feet and difficult to persuade to go and sleep 'it' off. There are no recollection of events the next day. Did you ever find a satisfactory answer to your question? Many thanks.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one dealing with a person with these conditions.  My 43 year old husband has been acting the same way for the last few years.  I'm going to talk to him to see if he can go get checked out.  Reading through the net, so far I've got: Diabetes (Diabetics can get this way when their blood sugar is abnormal), stroke or seizure (this is unlikely), electrolyte imbalance from a malfunctioning liver, hypo-glocemia, neurosis or psychosis, and extended Absentee Seizures...