Hi, guys. I have been reading some medical literature and somewhere I found out Othello syndrome. I must admit that I have never heard about this, so I would like to know what it is. I would really appreciate if someone could share this piece of info with me. Thank you in advance.

Hi to you too. Othello syndrome is also known as morbid jealousy or delusional jealousy. It is a mental disorder where delusional belief is present that his/her spouse or partner is unfaithful. Usually, they have no or minimal evidence for this. They can make a lot of trouble for their partners. There are several diseases and disorders where it can be found. Those are schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, alcoholism or sexual dysfunction. In any case, it requires a psychiatric treatment. I hope this helps you. Bye!

My boyfriend and i have been together for a little over a year now. He hasn' been diagnosed yet, but I feel ha does have Morbid Jealousy. We will start therapy next week, its that or split. Can someone off ANY advice at all on how I should deal with this until it gets better, if it ever does! Somedays I think I am going crazy. Im not the happy girl I use to be at all, and it even affects my job. Please help! :cry:

Reading through this blog I have to wonder if your partner's jealousy causes physical abuse. Does it?
When I was 22 I was deaply in love with a man that was extremely jealous. I was accused of flirting, sneaking out, etc. His jealousy made him abusive.
Just wonderin'....because if this is the case, if you are being abused, be careful!
I hope this is not the case with you. There is help out there and it sounds as if you are going down the correct path.
Best of luck.

Hello, to answer your question he has not actually HIT me, he has threw beer in my face in front of a whole slew of people at a party and busted out the windows in my car. he usually takes his anger out on the objects in the house, and by calling me names. May I ask, did things ever get any better with that jealousy you went through? Or what caused you to leave? thanks again

In my experience, you should get out NOW. You may be told things will improve, but you will wait and wait for that to happen, and it will only get worse.

For anyone reading this I can definitely confirm that this disorder IS REAL. My partner has suffered with this delusional jealously for well over fifteen years now and it has gradually got worse. It's only recently that I have actually found out that this condition is recognised and is a real problem. I've lived with all the horrendous accusations and everything that goes with it for years because I did not know who to turn to for help, part of me believed it would get better by itself it doesn't, and most importantly the embarassment of it kept me stuck. The sufferer also totally believes that there is absolutely nothing wrong with them, their thoughts or their perspective. I've now made a decision, after wasting so many years of my life, to research as much as I can about this disorder, put an ultimatum on the table and take it from there but I've got to say I'm not at all hopeful of any changes. So if you're reading this don't waste all them years like I did DO SOMETHING NOW.

Hi My dad has had dillusional disorder morbid jelousy for over 8 years. when he first got ill we didnt know what was going it was like being in the movie shining. He accused my mother of affairs, started spending loads of money, saw sperm in the bath tub, sheets, wall's and documented it on a calender, he paid for someone to super impose her picture in photos with people he thought she had affairs with in the past doing all he could to materialse his dillusions. He saw foot prints and broken tiwgs on branches as a sign of a lover paying a visit to my mother. Horrific and scary. He was on medication by force by the hospital weekly injection which just made him into a zombie, tongue out, pacing and unable to function. Its so upsetting. People with this disorder have no insight into their dillusions and can not help it. There is no point going over anything they say it only feeds the dillusions and helps with looping it like a cyle of cloths in the dryer, dont try and rationalize it, they are gone, just change the subject. From my experience and observatons I think this is very similiar to autism or dementia. He becomes obsessive and repetitive. Being jelouse is a normal human emotion to protect what is your's for some reason when he thinks of my mother, the person he procreates with, that part of his brain becomes over active and he cannot read her social cues or those of others and becomes paranoid. The med's dont work they make the brain more abnormal than it is already and only mask the symtoms and he get's stuck in a loop because he losing graps of reality and is trying to find some pattern he can hold onto. It would almost be better to take him away to a place he could swim, have a massage, ride a horse read a book, eat healthy and let the cycle complete its cycle rather than deffer it with meds but the system is not set up like this we want a pill and big pharma is the only soulution so its left to the families to deal with. This is not to say that medication does not have a place when there is danger. My father took medication in beginning and relapsed twice, he takes krill oil, Vitamin B12 and has changed his diet. Hypercalcemia it seems to be everything in terms of mood regulation and diet is everything. Staying of the alcohol, white flour and processed food can make a big difference and most of all exercise. The main trigger as with everything in is STRESS. My father is lucky he has good support and my mother is a tough woman but who knows what will happen. My heart goes out to those woman that are dealing with this it's horrific and very sad. Love to all The daughter of a crazy dad who I love and hope he doesnt hurt my dear dear mother. Its a head screw

redgirl0518 wrote:

"redgirl0518". Please run away from yr boyfriend or any one who has got this dillusional disorder of morbid jealousy. Don't even think of giving a second chance. I having been going on with this type of a man...cause i loved him and have got 3 beautiful, wonderful, understanding and smart children. I just came to know that there is such thing as othello syndrome. Not one or two years....i put up with man for nearly 30 yrs and the number of accusations and blames i went through are countless. Until recently, my eldest son saw this online and told us that his dad is suffering from a terrible disorder. No one would have ever gone through with so much of torture...accusing me of looking at everyone on the road, opposite and etc...etc...I can even write a story about my life suffering with this so called husband. His threats of disarming himself...kept me to be with him and i am still with him while writing this and going through another round of accusations. But thank God, i understand that i was house bound, controlled and not allowed even to open my front door. Anyone, who are new to such situations...should immediately leave and start off a new life. My son is planning to start him with some councelling and medication soon...well give it a try...at an age like me...where can i go????

I have an ex husband whjo I always believed was rational ..but very attentive .As time went on and I returmned to work and so was no "in a controlled place " he became increasingly angry and unsure . He responded by following me around , checking my phone , calling work at odd times and questioning whio I had seen etc . This didi not seem to strange untill he became more aggresive towards our children and started to tell our Dr and others about "sex parties " and ALL my partners .

He was so loving and attentive that the constant demand for sex  and time alonewith me  , just made me think he cared and loved me SOOOOO much . but as I got older and felt more shut off from friends and family "as I was always talking to MEN!!" I could not go out with friends alone and became a virtual prisoner in our marriage . 

I always looked on it (after a couple of years ) of him having a mini breakdown , but after some recent conversations with some health professionals this fits Perfectly......you can ask them to get help but it will always be your fault, and your problem ...because he will say he is fineand all you need to do is  behave like a good wife !

This eventually led to me leaving...now I have avery happy ;life with new husband .

Finished venting

hope this helps

mm

I recently broke up with my boyfriend of ten months. When I met him, I felt as though he was my dream man. Physically everything I find appealing in a man. He is 8 years older than me, which was perfect since I love older men. I met him while going through a divorce from my controlling husband. My boyfriend ( who lives 4 hours away) seemed perfectly normal until I left my husband and got my own place. He then started accusing me of having affairs with everyone from my realtor, to my male friend from childhood, etc. But then his accusations got more bizarre. He accused me of having lesbian affairs with my girlfriends. He even accused of me of sleeping with my own brother! His latest "suspicions" were that I was bi-sexual. He informed me that the official colors of the bi-sexual flag were pink and purple and would walk through my home pointing out every instance of pink or purple (even my children's pencils) and cite them as evidence that I was indeed bi- sexual. What gets me is that he would have these delusions, but then suddenly realize how silly they sounded and then apologize like crazy. But these vicious cycles of accusations and apologies soon grew tiresome. He had a history of cocaine use as well as taking way too much adderall ( which he had a prescription for), so I think that was part of his problem. It's sad because I truly loved him like crazy. I would never have dreamed of cheating on him. He was actually the first man I have felt true passionate love for. I would have done anything for him. If only he could have believed me :-(

WoW... thank you all for sharing your experiences. I just ended a relationship with someone that I really believe has this. It's been an off and on relationship for over a year now. Constant accusations and no matter what I do, it's not enough to prove my love. In my case though, the relationship is with a female. Everything I do she relates to another woman. Took her to a cabin in the mountains to celebrate her birthday, was accused of taking another woman there before her. Accused me of getting up in the middle of the night while she was sleeping to chat with other women online. Showed her the history on the computer, and all she said was "Humm." As long as I'm right under her, the relationship is great. But I work out of town, every time I leave for work we split up because she thinks I'm with other women "at work". It really sucks, because I really do love her and don't want anyone but her. I was really hoping there was some hope for this disorder, therapy, medication, something... Sounds hopeless from the things I've read, and she doesn't even recognize she has a problem :(

i suffered from othello syndrome for 5 years...i had no control over my thoughts and my mind forced me to do things that i didn't want to

This is a serious mental problem and will destroy the person that is living with someone with Othello Syndrome (morbid or delusional jealousy).  I am a 38 year old female that was married to someone like this for 10 years.  He is a good guy in a lot of ways but this jealousy would rule over his thoughts daily.  I have always been a fun loving person that loves to laugh.  I have a BA degree and have a career...just stating so that you will know a little about me.  I was accused for years of cheating with SEVERAL men without any reason ...in the beginning!  I was stalked constantly... he wanted to control my friends, my activities, and my whole life.  He wasnt mean! He was very loving and affectionate.  He accused me of cheating because there was mud on my tires once, there was a black mark on my gas tank

papa, it may of been deeper than that