I've seen doctors and been on antibiotics dozens of times to no help. I have a salivary gland under the tongue, anterior superior part of my neck. It's always swollen, sometimes huge, sometimes just a little, but 10 months out of the year it's swollen, it gets worse in the october/november season and sometimes I'll even get drainage, and cold/flu like symptoms on the left side only. The doctors all say its just a salivary gland and that it's coincidence and i'm weaker on the left sinus and more prone to infections. They've put me on countless antibiotics that never helped a bit. It's like having a cold with a puffy throat on one side all the time.
Do you know what my puffy gland is? or what i could try?

healthfreak wrote:

I have had a swollen saliva gland for over 15 years, in fact when I look back at my late teen pictures, my face looks slightly swollen on the left side. I am 41 years old now. I first started noticing my face was swollen when people asked if I had a toothache. They said my jaw looked swollen especially when I looked down. I had a MRI about 8 years ago. The doctor was looking for a tumor, but he didn't see one. He said he could do surgery anyway, he said it could possibly be hidden. But I don't have insurance, so I didn't. It doesn't bother me much, sometimes it swells and is painful, I start drinking a lot of water and massage it, sometimes my family doctor will give me a round of antibiotics and I'm okay.

I see similar type of symptons. I sometimes suffer from a swollen right cheek; it bulges out somewhere near the end of the jaw, below the ear. I suffer from cold. I have shown a doctor once and he said its salivary gland that can occasionallly swoll up. I just leave it as it for 15-30 mins without try to speak or eat, not trying to do much with my jaw; it gets normal then.

I havent got a satisfactory explaination from the doctor as such what is the real cause of this.

I experience parotid gland swelling for five years now. It's very painful, both sides swell up almost everyday and my face looks deformed. MRI, Catscan, X-rays nothing shows anything. The weird and gross thing is that when I press right infront of my ear some long stringy, slimy stuff shoots out inside my mouth from the salivary duct. Does anyone get that stuff?

I have found that having a radio, or clock radio beside my bed will cause problems with my ears -- dizziness, stuffy ears, etc. I suggest people with swollen glands and ear problems review how much time they spend in close proximity to electrical devices -- radios, computers, TVs, etc.

I, too, have the symptoms described here. I am a 43 yr. old female. I have a swollen right side salivary gland. I have had this for about 7 yrs. now. It will swell a few times a year, but the last few months it has stayed somewhat swollen & gets very large at times. It has been always on my right side, till last fall, I had both sides swell. In fact, the whole inside of my mouth was swollen. I went to my dr. & she said it was an allergic reaction. I now have an Epi pen. I went to an allergist, he tested me for 68 things. Found a couple. I have stayed away from them & am still experiencing the swelling. I went back to my dr. She put me on Allegra & antibiotics. It has done nothing for the swelling. I am now going to see an ENT dr. I did see one 4 yrs. ago & had a MRI & a saligram, which showed nothing. I feel like I'm going crazy! I guess it's good to know there are others who have had this problem, too.

Woke up 4 mos. ago after a weekend of common cold with my left side,under my chin, gland super swollen and facial numbness. Thouth i was having a stroke at 41. Ever since left gland swells on and off , numbness on and off, pain on and off, right side gland same about 3 times since minus the numbness. Since last month, pain around left eye on/off, headache on/off. Throat feels swollen at times and some pain(muscle?) very top and left/right of sternun. 3 different ents scoped me and all not concerned. One however said salivary gland and sugested lots of fluid and sour candy. Water seens to relief somewhat. CT with contrast unremarcable, MRI brain and trigeminal nerves was negative. X-rays are neg. Thyroid scan was neg., Gastro. Endoscopy just light esophatitis due to reflux but no big deal, neurologist no big deal after result of MRI. Dentist with panoramic x-ray and CT no problem However, an orthodontists that specialize in complicated cases found a crack from side to side of one tooth upper left side and a hole on one lower left side tooth and i'll have both treated monday. Upper one might need root canal, we'll see. Had just about every blood work possible. Smoking problably doesn't help and i am in the process of quiting with chantiz. Also the stress of life not good either and i am starting exercises tomorrow . All i know is that this thing is scaring the life out of me and it's not funny. I was glad to see other people out there with similar thing. Good luck to all of us. At the end, it will all be just simple BS stuff.

hi friends!excuse me for the long(hope not boring reply that came out)
but i didn't expect to find so many others experiencing the same (or very common )sympthoms.
this misfortunate condition seems to be almost "undetectable".though we suffer it so badly,no or only a few phisicians tend to take it seriously.
for me.
i started with allergy tests,tried to get rid of allergens,but nothing.then tried to treat it as throat infection,did my best not to expose my neck and protect the area from colds ets(it was awful to always take care about that,especially in summer)it didn't give much of a result too.
i got my tonsils removed at the age of 23(i really had to do it even much earlier,due to frequently occuring infections,which must have damaged my whole body in different ways-bones,heart etc)...but with the swollen glands it went on and on.i don't wanna look back in time,but it's been more than 10y now.
anyway,i had nothing to dobut observe myself.i tried to find what was common for the periods those sympthoms were at their peak?was it when i had cold,flu or any other kind of health problem?was it connected with a headache or anything else?
the only person that payed attention to may swollowed "portrait" was my dentist.she sent me to another specialist,who determined it was a specific kind of lymphodenitis and no medical treatment was recommended.he explained that in certain periods,when our immune system gets down(it started to occur periodiacally before my monthly menstruation),some organs(affected by previous infections and so on)can't work properly.the endocrinologist confirmed it and said with a smile"my girl,it's nothing to bother you and it is curable anyway"(though i hardly believe it can be entirely improved)...but a great deal remains unexplained and unclear.only my personal experience brought me to something. so here are few issues that could help us improve(or at least deminnish)the frequency and the size of the problem:
do
-boost the whole immune system.it is vital to improve your diet and switch to healthy and organic food,as much as you can).-stimulate the secretion of saliva (lemons or common sour fruits,vinegar,even piece of bread)
-be aware of the amount of salt intake(salty and chilly foods are making it worse)
-take care of yoyr throat area as much as you can. prevent colds and other infections(but don't get fussy about it)
-make breathing and other physical exersise(concentrate on the neck area).
-regulary go to the seaside and breath the iodine air in early morning hours.
-try laser therapy
don't
-take too much synthetic medicins(antibiotics or etc)
-press,hit,push or similar the swallowed areas.
-smoke if possible.
obviously,the problem is kind of a new one.and factors as pollution,stressful life and etc are among the main factors causing it.
i wish that we make the best of it and at least partly regain our healthy condition!

HOW DO YOU GET RID OF IT FOR GOOD?! I just got it this weak and I would not like it to be this way for 15 more years or longer! Please reply ASAP! Thanks! :-(

My Face hurts so bad right now that i was hoping to find a cure for this but apparently i have to wait it out. Just in response to the guest with the long stringy, slimy stuff that shoots out, i get that also and then it finally stops hurting. I'm just curious as to whether or not that falls under the calcium built up or stones that other sufferers get removed. Would anyone know?

I underwent radioactive iodine treatment last summer to treat my thyroid cancer. I experienced the rare side-effect of swollen salivary glands. Painful at the time but subsided after just a few days. No problems until recently when it reoccured. First on the right side, which returned to normal the next day. Then on my left side. This has lasted for over two weeks. Not as much swelling but still somewhat tender. I have s salty taste that "squirts" in my mouth every couple of days. It's not slimy like some have reported but very annoying. It gives me bad breath too. Just saw a new endricronologist on Friday that said this reoccurrence is rare and he knows of no treatment. I'm hoping it will subside and eventually not come back.

I woke up the other day, and my parotid gland was all swollen... the gland beneath/around the ear and along the jawline. It is somewhat painful and sensitive. I went to the doctor 2 days later concerned that it was mumps. By this time, I had a 101 degree fever also. He put me on antibiotics, and I've been on them only for 24 hours now, and the fever is gone, but the swelling hasn't gone down. He told me to eat lemon drops and massage the swollen area because there is probably a stone or blockage that is preventing the liquid from being released into my mouth (i.e., saliva), which is why my face is swelling up.

It's helpful to learn that there are others out there experiencing this. Has anyone out there had to get the stone/blockage removed? If so, how did it go?

I have had swollen glands, tingling tongue, sore swollen throat and face(feels like I have a facemask applied) for 12+ years. The pain and swelling vary from time to time and I can only know that dust and stress make it worse. I have tried many things homeopathy,accupuncture, Reiki,Sacral cranial adjustment and all the allopathic means such as antibiotics,endoscopy,ENT visits, MRI,CAT scans, nothing and no anwers. I had a bridge removed as I had it put in about the time the problem became noticable but this didn't help and am now thinking of removing my amalgam fillings for porcelain! It is interesting to read of others with a similar problem and I wish you all well.

I have had a swollen gland under right jaw off and on since November from dental surgery. It is painful and has caused numbness on whole right side of face. I have not discovered what trigers these episodes that will take days to recover from. However, I have found taking 1000mg of fish oil caps have helped me greatly.

I have had the same problem for years.

Here is what is happening. You have a "plugged" parotid gland. This may apply to some but not all of you. If you find yourself with a swollen neck while you eat rich or tangy foods (would A-1 sauce aggravate it?), your salivary gland is still producing saliva. But it is getting trapped. You can puch or massage on your neck where it is swollen or under your tongue to relieve the pressure. As far as I know there is no procedure to get rid of it. I have heard of surgery to correct it. Find a reputable ENT Doctor in your area to discuss it with. Good Luck!