I have a daughter that is lactating and the tests came back that she isn't pregnant what else could it be

No. It has been found that woman(whether pregnant or not) can still lactate. You can easily find this at the end of this web page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactation

Find the title : Lactation without pregnancy

that doesnt explain why someone would start lactating with out reason. i have just statred lactating and i dont know why, i havent had any regular nipple stimulation. i have no idea why this is going on, and it scared the hell out of me. please help...

The stimulation need not be intentional epidermal touching such as with finger tips, tongue or lips. Mental stimulation with normal brushing of nipples against the inside of brassiers can induce lactation. Of course it may be embarrasing, but you should not be scared. If it really bothers you, try avoiding sexual thoughts or remove focus on some one you find attractive. Wear a bra one size larger etc.

I am lactating too!!! Not pregnant just very, very stressed out. When I am very stressed out I start lactating. Weird I know!!!! I have done that sinse I was a teenager. I hope this helps you are not alone.

Ladies I am going through the very same thing. I had a daughter 5 years ago, I nursed her for 10 months and then stopped. I am still lactating to this day. If you only lactate on occasion, ie. period, sexual arousal, warm showers then it is just a hormone. But if you continiously lactate like I do then it can be one of two things, your thyroid, or there is a non-cancerous tumor on your pitutairy glad. Also know was Glacttahera (spelling?). My doctor check my thyroid and my hormones for the pitutiary and they all came back normal. Now I am going to go to the endocrinologist (brain doc.) to check it out. What I have come up with for the most part is meds can shrink the tumor but, if it is too large they will have to do brain surgery. If anyone else has been through this and their results came back positive, is there anything else it could be?

Hello to all,

I just happen to come across this posting and I am shaking my head. It is obvious to me that none of you is qualified to talk about these problems. PLEASE, do not take blog advice as medical advice!

Lactating is linked to the hormone named "PROLACTIN". Only when that hormone is very high you can lactate. In a normal situation that hormone is high during last months of pregnancy and after the child is born...and continues to be high for the duration of breast feeding.

If the PROLACTIN is high without pregnancy/child breast feeding it means that your hormonal system is unbalanced in a big way! Simple blood tests with your MD (FULL HORMONAL PANNEL blood tests)will bring you closer to a diagnosis. The causes of your hormonal unbalance can be multiple and it is true (somebody mentioned) that pituitary tumor is one of them, also hypothyroidism is another one. In my practice I see a lot of women that have adrenal fatigue (do not ask you MD about it because they do not study in school such thing, only alternative practitioners) and/or hypothyroidism. The most common cause is long term stress.

Untreated, it will eventually get to sterility and very early menopause. If you are talking about a pituitary tumor, there is medication and holistic (natural) way of treating it before surgery.

In fact for all hormonal imbalances there are alternative natural ways of balancing...

Good luck!

I am 15 and have discovered that I lactate when engaged in sex. I'm just so glad my boyfriend didn't mind!

I haven't ever had a baby, and I always thought that when you have a child you lactate but, I have never had the experience and it really bothers me that I am. what should I do?

Relax...didn't you read what the holistic nutritionist said? Could be caused by long term stress. So treat yourself to a spa day ladies and relax.

okay if you would of read the post (the one right above yours) correctly you would have noticed she was right about what she was talking about. sometimes when you have abnormal lactation yes it does mean your prolactin levels are high but its a condition called prolactionoma which means you have a tumor in your putuitary gland which is located in the brain. just because you are lactating doesnt mean you have this but you should definately see a doctor. all they have to do is give you a simple blood test to see the levels of the prolactin...it should be below a 30. good luck!

I too am shaking my head!..... If you are concerned that you are lactating, any amount, for any reason, go to your GP! Yes it could be stress, yes it could be a problem with your pituatary gland....get the blood tests and start the process of elimination! Get off the net and get to the Dr.!
Be well guys.
Been there, done that!

I would like it noted, that your post saying "Only when prolactin levels are very high, can you lactate" IS NOT TRUE!!! My prolactin levels are "normal" quoted by doctor via blood test, ( we are now exploring other possible avenues) yet I am still lactating. Please set the record straight, get at least some facts right before you post.

Thanks!

Please excuse my spelling.

At 16 I discovered I was lactating. After much investigation by my GP a small Pituitory Tumor was found. I took medication to reduce the effects of the tumor (ie. stop the lactating). I was monitored by an Endocronolgist up until I wanted to fall pregnant with my first child. I am now 28 and my little girl is 8 months old. I no longer require the medication because my Prolactin has remained normal after I stopped breast feeding. My GP will continue to monitor my prolactin levels for the next couple of years to make sure it remains normal.

Please do not panic if you are lactating. Do go and see your GP.

I hope my personal experience has helped.

I had the same problem and so I called my gynocologist. She says its not unusual for this to happen but then it does you should have a breast exam to make sure everything is normal.