Hello! My uncle is sixty and he suffers from emphysema. Since he lives alone and has no children my husband and I are trying to help him in his daily activities. We also take him to his doctor when needed and take care he takes his medicines on time. We noticed yesterday his legs were swollen. Could swell in lower legs be caused by emphysema?

Hello! Yes, swell in your uncle’s lower legs is most probably caused by emphysema since people who suffer from emphysema may have swollen legs. This happens because fluid builds up in the legs which also may happen in the lungs. You should take him to his doctor since severe cases of emphysema require hospital treatment but there is little they can do to help. The damage cannot be reversed and the progression of the disease can’t be stopped.

forster491 wrote:

Hi, everyone: This is my first post on this forum. I was under the impression that although emphysema is incurable and the damage cannot be reversed, if the sufferer stays awake from smoke (if it was caused by second-hand smoke, or quits smoking if he or she used to smoke) the condition will not worsen and sort of stagnates. Any comments will be appreciated. Thanks.

Marirose