Hello, folks. My friend has been experiencing some problems with his throat. At the end, he was diagnosed with epiglottitis. I wonder if this can be caused by haemophilus since his doctors are suspecting to this bacterium. I would appreciate if someone could tell me something more. Thanks for all your helps.

Hi, there. Epiglottitis is an acute infection. It can be even fatal in few hours. It mostly affects kids. The age range is between 2 and 7. You haven’t mentioned the age of your friend, but I guess he is older. Epiglottitis can be caused by Haemophilus influenzae. I don’t know whether his doctor ordered laboratory analysis to verify this. I hope this will help. Bye!

Hello. I must explain to those who do not know what epiglottitis is. It is an infection of epiglottis. It is a flap that is located at the base of the tongue. Its role is to keep food out of trachea. The most common bacterium that causes it is Haemophilus influenzae. Other bacteria that can cause it are: Streptococcus pneumoniae and streptococcus pyogenes. I hope this helps. Bye!

Hi. As you can see, epiglottitis is not something to joke with. It is an urgent medical condition. One should be brought to a hospital as soon as possible. Some of the symptoms are: difficulty with swallowing, stridor, drooling and fever. Endotracheal intubation is one of the treatment measurements that are obligatory. Antibiotic should also be given. Please, let me know how your friend is. I hope everything will be fine. Bye!