Hello! My grandfather has glaucoma. He is sixty seven years old and he drinks very much. We often discus this problem with him but he is just making jokes and doesn’t want to lower his alcohol consumption. He even says alcohol is good for his glaucoma. I am afraid that my grandfather’s eyes condition will become even worse with alcohol consumption. I check my eyes at least once a year since I have family history of glaucoma.

Hello! There was an opinion that moderate alcohol consumption reduces intraocular pressure which presented the main risk factor for primary open-angle glaucoma. Some other researches even stated that high alcohol consumption may be associated with the reduced risk of glaucoma. Your grandfather probably has read about this in some newspapers and he is now using that information to cover his problem with alcohol. Most doctors think that alcohol isn’t influencing the risk of glaucoma in any way and I agree with them.

Does moderate alcohol consumption reduce the effect of brimonidine tartrate 0.2% drops for glaucoma?