I was on Cymbalta for approx. 10 months, and during
that entire time, I had severe alcohol cravings. It's not only Cymbalta that has done this to me, but Paxil, Effexor and Lexpro, too. I tried to explain this to my M.D., but he didn't seem to take me too seriously. It was getting so severe that I ended up weaning myself off the medication without telling my physician. I know, not the smartest move, but I was really starting to worry about myself! Before taking medication for my anxiety and slight depression, I was a very light drinker. It just wasn't my "thing". Now that I'm no longer taking Cymbalta, obviously my anxiety has worsened and I'm caught between.....do I start taking it again and fear daily that I'm going to overindulge? Or do I continue on without it and try to find more natural ways to deal with my anxiety? Has anyone else had this issue with their anxiety meds? Any feedback would be extremely helpful! Thank you :-)

I can't comment on the side effects of the cocktail of drugs you're familiar with, but perhaps I can comment on the issue of anxiety.

Clearly, you and your doctor are treating anxiety as a medical condition. I do wonder however whether there might not be some merit in exploring it as a rational philosophy of life. If you would prefer to stick with the medication theory, then this conversation may not be appropriate, and I'd suggest you not read any more.

On the other hand, if you have managed to successfully negotiate life to this point, clearly there's an awful lot of merit in how you've structured your life, including the belief systems you've chosen to allow you to operate successfully, and including the symptoms that may perhaps be entirely natural to your personal choice as to how to successfully negotiate life.

If every time I drove my car, I heard tyre noise (UK, sp), I might take it to the garage and say I'm hearing tyre noise, and they examine it, and find nothing wrong, so I drive it and hear tyre noise, take it back to the garage, they examine it and find nothing wrong, so I drive it and hear tyre noise... and I will keep hearing tyre noise every tmie I drive because tyres make a noise.

In short, it might be interesting for you to start to open a new folder, a new exploration, based on the premise that perhaps what you are is a very capable human being who gets through life entirely successfully, and perhaps start exploring what are the tyre noises in your life, and what are your strengths, and your weaknesses - as we all have - and how does your anxiety fit in to that winning structure.

Being afraid of flying will, after all, ensure you never die in a plane crash... unless it happens to crash on you, instead of while you're in it. As the bumper sticker says, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you. In fact, the number of people monitoring every single one of us right now is quite scary: drive, they're watching, walk, they're watching, pay tax, they're watching, don't pay tax, they're watching - in fact the only people who seem to get away with anything are burglars - go figure.

There really is a huge amount to be anxious about in life, so the real question isn't whether you suffer from anxiety, as do you seriously imagine that the rest of us don't?

It might be interesting to make a list of things you feel anxious about, and explore just how many of them other people also feel anxious about. It's possible for example to imagine that you might feel anxious about your ability to pay the bills. Join the gang.

Maybe your anxiety is amorphous - it has no fixed point of reference, but hovers there: this is in fact the most intriguing part - have you ever wondered who is being anxious, when you feel that way? Who is the person, the thing, the amorphous entity that experiences this fear? Who is the you that is afraid?

You might consider exploring a little wider afield: check out your bookstore, the new age section. The only true insanity is believing you understand life. It's understanding how to relate to what you can't understand, that is interesting. Some people see it as a challenge: researchers, physicists, mathematics, problem solvers; some people see it as an irrelevance - stick with what you know; and some people may perhaps feel that what they don't understand is a threat.

In other words, it may well be that doctors have found mechanisms that they believe are relevant to what you experience, and medications that they believe can help, but the greatest and most powerful healer, the most powerful doctor, the most powerful physician, gets up every morning and stares back at you out of the mirror.

Understand who that is, and you may find a little peace, a little quiet, and a little rest from anxiety.

Life's problems won't go away: that's life - but who you are that handles life's problems - than may change.

It's just a thought.

can u have a cocktail while taking cymbalta?

Be careful taking any anti depressant or anxiety medication with alcohol. It is not only dangerous, it limits the ability of the medication to fully work and help you. It is a bad combination. It prolonged and worsened my situation, it got really bad. Don't drink with those meds at all if you can help it. Alcohol doesn't help any of these emotional disorders, it just makes it worse!!!