hi im 26 i recently slept with someone without protection. ii now have cystitis which im taking antibiotics for and i have a thick white discharge. but saying that i did have it before i slept with someone. i seem to suffer from thrush alot and i did have BV before. im just writing to ask to you think that the white discharge could be an sti. i got checked on thursday for all sti's because i'm so worried but the doctor said everything looked fine. i'm just waiting for the results now. i was just wondering if you could help me do you think its a fungal infection or an sti?? please reply as im getting very stressed over it. and also could the stress be doing that aswell????

thanks

It is not necessarily an STD. White discharge could occur during ovulation or when you get a cold or something, so it is not always a sign of an STD although you did have unprotected sex.

Of course only a vaginal swab would tell what it really is but most commonly doctors already can tell the difference just by looking at your vagina during a physical exam.

I also had yeast before and for the last few months I have suffered from excessive discharge and I thought I must have some kind of bacterial infection but the swab revealed I had a perfect vaginal flora, meaning that the balance between fungus and bacteria inside vagina was very good and I still had excessive discharge.

So, you basically can’t tell anything until the results arrive. It could be Chlamydia, it could be yeast (but it would be very thick discharge and it would be very bad smell) but it could be nothing.

Anyway, I hope everything turns out well. Play smarter next time!

thanks for that reply. hopefully it will be ok. i tend to overeact sometimes. i just had one more question! sometimes i get discharge that is thick and gooey i dont mean to be disguisting but it's like flem or snot. but i get only the odd time. would you have any idea what it would be from??

thanks

That is most likely you ovulating.