Hello. I recently had my yearly pap smear and she tested the fluid and came back telling me that I have Bacterial Vaginosis. I've been with the same guy for 9 months now and I know he hasn't been cheating on me. But before I met him, I had slept with 7 other guys. Is he at risk? I've been looking all over the net to learn more about it, and I've been coming up with it being an STD.. My gyno told me it wasn't an STD. How can you have an STD if you've been with the same partner for 9 months now? I always used to think the white discharge was just an effect of becoming aroused..so I'm trying to think of the first time I noticed it..and I think I first noticed it either before the 2nd guy I slept with or between them. All of 8 guys were in a 4 month period. Someone please help, I'm just really scared. I mean, I now I shouldn't be.

Bacterial vaginosis is not an STD and you will not pass it to your boyfriend!
Just make sure you abstain from sex until you have it treated.

mayo your wrong on the second part yeah its not a std its just like an yeast infection to do with the gems inside you that cant find of the bad germs i have had it a few times but it can spread to your partner when having sex if its not cured thats why you mite have been told it was an std bc it can still be spread to others trust me i have had it and my doctor told me and gave me information on it, its just and infection u didnt catch it from your man but he can get it from you its like chicken pox you can spread them or a throat infection if you know what i mean now

XD
SexyGirl2007, that's great you have read up on it. You act like it's some honor to have a damn bacterial infection! But last time I checked Mayo is in the medical field. Don't you think he would know? and you definitely need a new doctor, because NO you cannot pass it to your partner. It's an infection not a STD. That's not that hard to figure out. If you have any questions I will refer you to my gynecologist, he will fill you in. Apparently, you must have went to the health unit to get them kind of results..... But for the record you cannot pass it to your sexual parter. I have had it before and I'm still having sex with the guy and I haven't caught another bacterial infection! Thanks!

BV from the understanding of my doctors knowledge to my ears is a bacterial infection that isn't sexually transmitted although it is an infection which makes it likely to be contagious. Not only is it contagious due to the strands of bacteria but intercoarse could upset its restoration of Ph levels during treatment (ANTIBIOTICS). (MY OPINONATED UNDERSTANDING) For Ex. Having sex while having a bacterial infection is like rubbing dirt into an open wound. Instead of thinking about it being transmitted from your past relations or your stable relations at the moment I'd suggest reflecting on what sexual activities you and your boyfriend have ingaged in. Scientists are still studying the bacteria so there is an uncertainty behind the cause and effects. I'd personally like to know whether or not this is an infection that is caused by naturally changing hormones in the body reacting differently to the normal ph levels therefore producing more of the already present bacteria?

Hi, I just wanted to asdd that I have been suffering from bv off and on since i was 14 im 24 now, well its normal for me to go in and i almost always have it, now ive been with my guy 4 years now and alll 3 years negtive on this stand of bv Mobiluncus bacteria, Mycoplasma hominis bacteria can be the bad baterica that CAN be spread from a new sex partner or if somone is cheating now that is from my obgyn and all on the internet, there are bvs that you  can get that only you have but they do have sti ones and the only reason its considered a sti is becasue its spread sexually but it is just an infection, but if ive been negtive all these years and now im postive for the sti one and i spoke to the Nurse bec ause i was seriously consirened... well they say its a grey areaa but if is sexually spread those two types.. some of you need to do a bit more homwork u can pass certain stand to ur partner so yes its considered an sti if under those names of infection if not its a nornal we all get them in our life kinda thing. So what do i do try and see he deneies it i know i never cheated so where does that leavve me ??