Hi, I am a middle aged man. Trough out my life I didn't pay that much of attention to my teeth. I just had a lot of more serious things to worry about. It seams that this is getting back to me. Not only do I have problem with my gums, but the entire mouth is affected. I reacted by going to the dentist's. He diagnosed me with decayed gum tissue. The doctor also prescribed me some medicine and gave me an education on oral hygiene. Could you tell me what caused the decayed gum tissue? I am also wondering if it is serious and do I need to worry.

Hi, the diagnosed condition is also known as trench mouth. There are several reasons that can cause it. Lack of oral hygiene and stressful situations are among those that you have experienced. As for the treatment, regular oral hygiene is vital. This includes proper brushing of the teeth at least two times a day. Flossing is essential as well. It would be best to floss after every meal. You did good to visit the dentist. He will probably clean your teeth in a professional way. You must also avoid stressful situations, smoking and eating spicy food. If not treated, decayed gum tissue may produce pain and periodontitis which can lead to falling of the teeth.

My goodness! Trench mouth! Wow! I've heard of trench foot but not trench mouth. Trench foot is also caused mainly by poor hygiene, moisture, and lack of air getting to the feet. Trench foot can lead to gangrene if not treated in a proper timely fashion. Trench mouth is definitely caused by a lack of oral hygiene. How often did/do you brush your teeth on a daily basis? Sounds like you haven't been taking very good care of your teeth/mouth. If a dentist has to re-educate you on oral hygiene there is a red flag!!! Good luck and take good care of your mouth before you loose all your teeth! I know you wouldn't want that to happen. Take care.