I am going to have gum grafting surgery next Tuesday. I am worried and little scared because of it. I would like to here from someone who experienced gum grafting how recovery looks like? I always have bad situations with dentists. Thank you in advance.

Last June I had gum grafting surgery. I have done one of these surgeries before, so knew what to expect. They would remove tissue from two long incisions in the roof of mouth and graft that material onto my gums. I had 32 stitches in my mouth after and the stitches were supposed to come out after 10 days. But only after 5 days I had to call my dentist because some of my stitches were loose and hanging down in my mouth. When he checked me out, he was astounded at how fast my mouth had already recovered. He went ahead and removed the rest of the 32 stitches as my wounds had already closed However, I am certain that it's from Oxycise.

:-( I am going through the recovery right now, I am bleeding a clotting days after I am supposedly shouldn't be. There are no answers expect go the course cold ice on the bleeding spot direct pressure until the bleeding stops then replace ice with tea bag on roof of mouth. It is very....painful! I've missed 5 days of work already.
The thing to remember is everyone heals differently and at different time lengths. Now the teeth and gums where the stiches are is almost healed, the most difficult part of the surgery is the roof of the mouth.
Make sure you buy plenty of protein shakes or healthy smoothies to replace some of the nutrients that you will loose from having to change your diet. You will loose some weight but you need to keep your strength.

Good Luck

%-) I had gum graft surgery on wed. Was told by Dr to take it easy for three days after. I had it done in 3 places near the canine teeth. Stitches in my mouth there and of course the roof where they take the graft. Had bad bleeding in 2 spots. Tea bag thing works for real. Pain is a little worse than a Pizza burn if you ask me. Face is still swollen and its Monday. Not been at work and cannot go to work as i have a contact job and cannot risk a blow to the face. Stitches still in, but supposed to come out on their own. Was told not hot water/salt rinse and instead given a bottle of solution to rinse with. It tastes ok and makes your mouth feel as clean as it can. Still cant eat really well, and any food making contact with the spots hurts. I got to do this again in a year, but now am better informed. Dr said I would be well quick (yeah right).

8-|
I am relieved to know your face is swollen too! Man, i had grafting yesterday and it was DEFinitely not fun! Im only 27 and have had 80% of my intestines out so this isn't TOO bad but still not fun AT ALL!! i dunno but my face is REALLY swollen! looks like the half side of my face is HUGE! i dont have any other real symptoms besides it feels gross in my mouth. the pain meds help a ton! o and the surgery itself was SO WEIRD! I had them give me gas which i recommend fully! but when they started doing the surgery, i could see so make sure you keep your eyes closed the whole time! it was sooo weird! but other than the swelling, it's not too bad. (so far) besides no appetite and nauseaus!

I'm on day six following a skin grafting of seven lower teeth. The first three days went fine. Day four I saw some swelling, which increased, along with the pain, on day five. Today I was just plain miserable, with only mild relief from the motrin and tylenol (percoset at night). One of the most challenging symptoms for me is that a previously sensitive tooth now aches a lot, to the extent that I'm wondering if will require a root canal. I intend to have it checked tomorrow. I'm told the pain from the roof of the mouth comes between days 7 and 10. Oh joy; I can hardly wait! I'm glad that some of you escaped with relatively little discomfort; just thought others might appreciate knowing they're not alone if suffering.

Just had mine done 4 days ago; not as easy as I thought, very tough to eat the first three days, my perio made me a guard for the roof of my mouth which I think is preventing some of the pain I'm reading about; I had four on bottom and four on top; i talk for a living, HR, took thurs/fri off and may need to be off Monday, the more I talk the worse it feels; I go in for a 14 day post op visit; Can't wait to eat real food;

I had my surgery this morning. I was on Motrin, Valium, and Triazolam before. I don't deal well with needles, so I asked for gas for the first part of the procedure, but then they took me off it for the rest. Surgery was no big deal.

I slept like a rock most of the way home and then for 3 hours. Very vague memories of stuff that happened during that time (my husband changed me into my pj's, but that part is pretty fuzzy). Felt a little drunk for a while, but I've been fine since then. I took the 800mg ibuprofen the Dr. prescribed, and I haven't needed any other pain meds. The shield they made for my palate helps a ton. Feeling the hole up there kinda freaks me out, so I plan on wearing the guard for as long as I can.

Had a dark chocolate Ensure for dinner and that was pretty yummy. I had Campbell's cream of chicken for lunch, which was good, but I had a little trouble with the little pieces of chicken. Chewing isn't hard, but I was afraid a little piece would somehow get into the front part where the graft was, and I would have to get it out with my tongue. I think I'll stick with totally smooth stuff for a while. Will update if stuff gets worse.

I had my surgery tuesday morning and tonight (friday night) i still feel pain and discomfort. I only had gums grafted on two lower teeth. the meds made everything painless for the first day, and by the second and third day I was just taking one Ibuprofen every few hours. My Dr. made me a roof guard which has saved my life; eating is truly painful without it, even now, 3 days after the procedure. All in all I felt like I was being a big baby about the whole thing because I have felt like c**p all week and all I want to do is sleep and pass the time so that my mouth will heal. But reading these posts is making me realize that many others have had to take several days off in order to recover. So that is my advice, plan for at least 4 days of recovery.

Recovery from oral surgery is always such a beast because your mouth is such a vital thing to use. It's usually fairly quick, but it hurts like heck in the meantime! I think it's important to remember that every surgery has recovery time and not to feel bad about the time it takes. Gum grafts can be very painful and take awhile, so none of you are going through anything unusual. It looks pretty normal in fact! I do not envy any of you--my brother went through it and it looked pretty bad.

Keep us posted on your recovery! It helps to know what others are going through.

I had my grafting done yesterday. It went okay, except on the bottom teeth there was some serious sensitivity despite being numbed. (he said it was better than doing a jaw block--whatever he meant by that) The pain isn't too bad, he gave me some vicodan, but I didn't take it because I don't want to have the mental cloud at the cost of alittle pain. So far there has been a lot of swelling, I can't seem to get it down even though it's been over 24 hours. Every time I lay down or sleep the swelling increases, which makes it difficult to control. I'm supposed to go back to work tomorrow, but I honestly don't know if I can if it is this swollen. Good luck to everyone!

I had my gum grafting done August 27, 2009 on my 2 bottom front teeth and I am just about fully healed and recovered. I went to a periodontist, Dr. Raymond Kenzik, and I virtually had no pain, no bleeding and barely any discomfort. I You Tubed the procedure and witnessed a horrible sight. That freaked me out and had me very nervous about the whole thing. I had anastesia because I didn't want to see, hear, smell anything regardless of being able to remember it or not. Once I got home and the anastesia was wearing off I started to feel some pain and discomfort so I took the meds the doctor prescribed and soon I was fine. I was only on the meds for about 3 days and then I was only taking one at night to ensure I slept comfortably for another couple nights. I had a little swelling that the ice took care of. The doctor gave me a plastic shield fitted to my upper so that eating/ drinking didn't interfere with the top graft sight. The bottom front had the pinkish bandage to protect the gums sight. He gave me the mouth rinse to use that made my teeth feel really clean since I could not brush and floss like usual. Overall I had a really great experience and now I am excited about my surgery and that I have gums, more gums that I have ever had on those teeth. If I need the surgery again, I will be going to Dr. Kenzik again with no hesitation. I hope this helps others and if you are in the area I suggest using him, he is kind and gentle and will take good care of you.

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

I had my gum graft on monday morning and am in serious pain. I wake up when the lortabs wear off and am writing this at 5:00am because I'm waiting for them to kick in. Seeing my face in the mirror is horrifying--I look like a deformed Popeye. I took a week off work thinking that I would be fine in a few days, but I'm not so sure now! ugh... this is terrible. :-(

So I just had the gum grafting and I'm wondering if something;s wrong ... I'm not having much pain from anything other than the stitches are scratching up the inside of my lip so much it's as if staples are upside down in my mouth and the inside of my lip is getting ripped up repeatedly by it. The rest of the graft, nothing else hurts. No one mentioned this, the doctor didn't warn me about this ... did anyone else experience this?

If you need the procedure to be done, don't read about. Read about it after you have had the procedure. I find that if I read up on this procedure before it was done I would have freaked on the day. The first couple of days were a walk in the park, but after that it has been all down hill. Pain medication does not help the pain, you have to put up with it. Keep you month as clean as possible as I find this will help. The pain comes and goes. If you still have your protective with glump on the roof of your month than you are lucky as mine fell of during sleep time. Hope this helps my situation because if it doesn't then it was a waste of time, money and pain for nothing.

Good lunk to anyone who is going to get this done