After the periodontal surgery, my gums were swollen and sore. I was on antibiotics for a while to prevent infection and to relieve post-surgical discomfort. Anyway, my teeth are still sensitive to hot and cold food and liquids. What can I do to control this disease? I don’t want to go true this again.

Exposed root surfaces of teeth due to gum recession may be sensitive to hot or cold foods and liquids. The best thing you can do is daily remove plaque by proper brushing; flossing and other recommended cleaning methods will help ensure you keep your teeth for a lifetime. Most of the people do not need surgery in the same area again. However, in certain cases, treatments may be needed. Remember that proper oral hygiene at home and regular professional care are key factors in achieving a successful long-term result.

My dentist perscribed a special toothpaste that is supposed to fill in the dentin tubes that are below the gumline with minerals. The over the counter sensitivity toothpastes use the same idea but it's a phosporous compound I think. He also has a "paint" he put on the teeth that coats them in a plasitc compound and made my mouth feel a LOT better almost immediately.

There is a laser treatment for gum disease that I am having done next week. A close friend had it done about 9 months ago and she was VERY happy with the results. The literature claims there can be bone and gum regeneration with this treatment, but even if it doesn't regenerate it's got to be better that the results with cutting and sewing. She said the treatment was not to tough and recovery was much better than when she had the surgical version several years ago.