I got my wisdom tooth extracted yesterday and after the bleeding wore off, I got curious about the hole and sent my tongue to check it out..at first I thought my cheek was just too swollen, but it didn't take long for me to figure out that the inside of my cheek was flapped over the hole and sewn to my gums! Man is it irritating, I was thinking maybe it was an accident but I can just feel how it's carefully stitched together, and after looking on google a few people had this problem but noone had answers. These are the dissolvable stitches, so I've been told it's going to be less than a week before I feel free again. Soon as he was done stitching me up, he said it was "gonna be tight" I just said okay not sure what he meant until I discovered this damn irritating pinching feeling to my inside cheek. If it wasn't for the vicidon I would be very annoyed, but I just want to know exactly why this happened, because noone I've talked to got stitched up like that.

Is it because my gum was retracted to remove an infected tooth and they use the side of my mouth as a protective layer flap so it heals? That's the only explanation that I came up with, I just wanted to see if there's anyone out there to confirm it? It would definitely help me settle

I have just gone through the very same thing with a bottom molar. I have had all of my wisdom teeth extracted and several others as well, and I've never experienced this before now, with the new oral surgeon.
When I left the office, I noticed immediately that my cheek was incredibly swollen. While I realize this is common after an extraction, I have never had anything swell up on me before and was wondering why now. I read the after care instructions, and the O.S. had an entire paragraph about how he is very experienced and knows what he is doing and to be certain he DID NOT stitch your cheek to your gum! I thought this was absolutely bizarre. What kind of doctor would put such a thing? When I got home and the novacaine had worn off, I did the same thing you did - went wandering with my tongue over the extraction site. Same thing! My cheek IS actually sewn over the hole in my gum! I drew the same conclusion you did - probably helps it heal faster - I hope! Did the same search thing - NO answers. Many dentists reply that it is common for patients to "mistakenly" think that their cheek has been sewn over the site, but it is simply appearing to be that way because of the swelling.
I had a wisdom tooth that had actually grown up inside my cheek that had to be removed and that didn't make my cheek swell. There are actually sticthes in my cheek! I am not mistakenly thinking anything!
Apparently this is some sort of unorthodox method of treatment that we're not supposed to know about. If I had the money right now I'd go see my doctor and have him check it out for me!

Hello. I remember that I asked my dentist is it normal to have your cheek stitched to your gum after wisdom teeth removal because that was my main concern. Look, when it comes to wisdom tooth extraction, it can be anything. But that is perfectly normal for so many different reasons. For example, the skin of our cheeks is continued to the region of lower third molars.  Generally, it is not very distinct in general, but when you have lower wisdom teeth extracted and you need stitches. In that case, cheek mucosa is stitched to your gum.  I believe that there is no reason for you to be worried about this. I had this issue as well, I was terrified but it seems that everything is ok. 

same here... u guys think our cheeks will eventually release from the gum? this is driving me nuttttssssss.

hi, I've just taken out my lower wisdom tooth and also realised the same thing.. I only got a good look at it today.. 3 days later after *SOME* swelling has gone down.. my cheek is Definately stitched to my gum.. there's no mistake.. it looks deliberate. My cheek doesn't seem to be covering well though.. it looks more like it's on the side of where the tooth used to be.. i think the stitches might have torn though.. I'll be taking them out next week so no biggie.. was wondering what the purpose of the cheek stitches are.. i'll ask the dentist.. but don't think i'll get a straight answer from the feedback i've read here

I called the doctor's office and they said that since it has been 3 days since the surgery it was fine for me to cut it myself. They said there was no harm in it. I did and i feel much better. Try it if you'd like....

I had the same thing with my lower left molar. One week after the surgery, the stitches have now dissolved enough that my gum and my cheek that was sewn on top of it have now separated from each other. I am certain that I was not mistaken because of swelling, as the holes from the stitches are clearly visible in my cheek. Anyhow, it doesn't worry me anymore since what I was most concerned about was the possibility of my cheek healing permanently to my gum...

I am so relieved to find out that this happens to other people too. I was terrified that my cheek would seal over on top of my gum....

i just had my wisdom teeth out and the same thing happened to me. i was sure of it ever since i left the doctors but everyone kept telling me no. this is the third day and i was sitting here and i pushed on my cheek with my tongue and i felt it pop off my gums. you can see the stitch holes in my cheek. i was worried it would heal to my gum but no worries. it feels a lot better now.

I just had my wisdom teeth pulled 3 days ago. My cheek was stitched to my gums, but I'm pretty sure my cheek ripped away from the hole. It just looks like they stitched a flap of my gums to my cheek. I'm going into seem them for post-op check-up tomorrow, so I'll definitely be asking them what's up.

I had my lower right wisdom tooth out 4 days ago, I noticed yesterday that my cheek was stitched to my gum.
I cant smile, sneeze, laugh or really make any facial expressions due to the stitches.

No one seems to have come back with what the dentist said when they spoke to them?

It seems to be something that the dentist will do but it might be nice to be told what to expect regardless even if the stitches are dissolvable.

!

The same thing happened to me when my top wisdom teeth were extracted back in November. My dentist's words were "I was afraid of that" o.O when I finally realized a couple of days later and called after hours. Unfortunately, by the 2 1/2 day mark when the stitches were removed my cheek and gum had already fused together! In the days that followed I experienced tearing when I smiled, laughed, spoke, and basically any movement that included my cheek and mouth. I had brusing and swelling but that worst was/is the attached gum by far. I am currently in the process of having the area lasered whch is by far the worst and most painful of all of it. Because of the layers it has to be done in stages. My dentist is very nice but this has made me nervous about him being in my mouth with a laser. It's an ongoing process still-wish me luck!

Same happened to me. The worst part was that I have terrible allergies this time of year, and I had to sneeze often. The sneezing ripped my cheek from my gums.

ok .. so all four wisdom teeth are impacted. one in my nasal cavity under my cheekbone, and one on the bottom had roots grown around my "MAIN" nerve in my lower right jaw. thaught this was gonna be painfull it was . swelling for about 4 days . and same cheeek stiched to my gums. unbelieveable the annoyance this causes. apparrently common reading this but just wanted to say how ridiculous this is and dont understand the perpose what so ever..

Ik what you all mean.. did anyone wake up with a moth full of blood one day...that was the morst most disgusting tast ever