Good morning,

My wife and I have been trying to conceive for the past few months without any luck. She did her tests and all was well, then I did mine and the doctor said that I had a low sperm count and gave me Profertil for 3 months (twice daily).

These are the results from the test:

pH: 8.0
Colour: Whitish/Grey
Volume: 4.0 ml
Sperm Count: 30 x 10^6 /ml total
Morphology: 10% Good
                   15% Moderate
                   30% Poor
                   45% Non-mortile
Viscosity: +
Leukocytes: 2 x 10^6 cells

He didn't really give us much details on what these are, but he said that we can increase the sperm count with Profertil and that other couples managed to conceive even with lower sperm count than I have.

My question is, can someone please give me a bit more details on the analysis above? What they mean etc. And what are possibilities of having kids with such statistics? Are there other ways we can conceive if normal ways fail?

Thanks from beforehand!

Hi Zizou,

The "normal" values are in parenthses.  I put "normal" in quotes because these values do vary slightly at different facilities.  You really should discuss this with your doctor.

pH: 8.0  (7.2 to 7.8)
Colour: Whitish/Grey
Volume: 4.0 ml (> 2.0ml)
Sperm Count: 30 x 10^6 /ml total (20 x 10*6)
Morphology: 10% Good
                   15% Moderate
                   30% Poor
                   45% Non-mortile
(>30% morphology normal.  Some places 40 - 60%)

Viscosity: +
Leukocytes: 2 x 10^6 cells (1x10*6)

Yes you can have children.  Your counts are not that low.  Worst case, your semen is collected and washed, then in-vitro is used to fertilize the egg.  Let not go that far though yet.

Normally, we don't even consider fertility issues until a year has gone by without pregnancy.  Give yourself some time and don't get frustrated.  Y

Good luck.

Thanks for your reply!

Just to clarify:

So the pH and Leukocytes is higher...is that too high, or not so bad? How can I lower them?

I'm not sure I understood the morphology part...you mention >30% morphology normal...so should I add the good and moderate for this morphology? Or it also includes the poor?

Thanks again for your reply!

Thanks for your reply!

Just to clarify:

So the pH and Leukocytes is higher...is that too high, or not so bad? How can I lower them? The rest seems ok?

Thanks again for your reply!

Again, some facilities have different ranges.  If it was higher, there would be a possibility of infection.  I would not consider 8.0 ph to be abnormal.

The leukocytes are white blood cells.  This could indicate a possibility of infection.

The morphology refers to the size and shape of the sperm.  Don't focus on the 30% number, it is but one "standard" (WHO).  Some research is showing that the the normal sperm rate is only around 14% and varies to as low as 6% (Kruger method).

Have you only had the one test?  Usually we'll test 3 times to obtain a baseline.

Again, fertility issues are normally not considered until a year has passed.

There is about a 20% chance of pregnancy even when everything is perfect.

Just one test so far. He gave me Profertil for the next 3 months and then we'll do another test.

So you reckon that I could have an infection? Should I take anything about it?

We've been trying to conceive for the past 7 months with the fertility test kit my wife bought, so she knows more or less precisely when she's fertile, that's why we thought 7 months was a lot.

Thanks so much for your replies. We are worried about this, but your words have put some faith in conceiving

Zizou,

The values are only slightly elevated, leukocytes and pH.  That's why the follow up tests are a good idea.  If it is an infection, it may resolve on its own.

At this point I see no need to worry.  Give it some time.

Thanks for your help, really appreciate it!