My husband and I are wanting a baby so bad. We are not trying but not trying to prevent either. But I am wondering if it is hard to get pregnant with both of us on methadone??? Thanks!!!!

Be careful because that could harm the baby if you do conceive. I would wait until you have completely cleaned up and are off the meds before you try anything! Just to be safe.

Is there anyone out there that could tell me if it's harder to get pregnant??? Does methadone effect fertility???

Sadly, methadone is known to impact the motility of sperm, which could make it harder to conceive. I can't tell you whether or not the effects are long term or just during the time that methadone is being used, but I would suggest waiting until both partners are clean to try to conceive, it will most likely be easier, safer, and you will have a healthier baby.

From the New England Journal of Medicine:

The function of the secondary sex organs was found to be markedly impaired in 29 participants in a methadone maintenance program. The ejaculate volume and seminal vesicular and prostatic secretions were reduced by over 50 per cent in methadone clients, as compared to 16 heroin addicts and 43 narcotic-free controls. Serum testosterone levels were also approximately 43 per cent lower in methadone clients than in controls or heroin users. Although the sperm count of methadone clients was more than twice the control levels, reflecting a lack of sperm dilution by secondary-sex-organ secretions, the sperm motility of these subjects was markedly lower than normal. On all measures of secondary-sex-organ and testicular function, heroin addicts appeared to fall between the methadone and control subjects, but, with the exception of sperm motility, the deviation from control values did not reach statisitcal significance."