I am jus starting Dexedrine, so I was hoping to here some pros and cons about it or perhaps some tip about the drug. I am diagnosed with adult ADD. I am not sure if it is allowed to decrease or increase the dose if I feel like it…

Look, the dose that you are prescribed is the right one. Your doctor probably prescribed dosage of Dexedrine based on your body weight and other medical conditions so do not change the way that you are taking the medication without consulting your doctor. For ADD, the daily dosage may range from 2.5 mg to 40 mg daily for best response. I have no experience with Dexedrine so I can’t tell you pros and cons, but from what I heard for other people they had problems with sleep while taking the med.

A tip? Do not increase your dose just because you feel like it. I did, and I was addicted within a month. So unless you want yourself a drug problem stick to the prescribed dose. Some side effects.. Well I've been taking dexedrine for about two years and I get bad headaches behind my eyes at the end of the day. And because its used to treat narcolepsy, a sleeping disorder, I have trouble sleeping sometimes.

I have been on dexedrine for 5 ish years on and off. I am also diagnosed with Adult ADD.
I have a love hate relationship with this drug....
It is EXTREMELY hard to get off this drug. You also build a tolerance to it pretty quickly so you have to keep upping your dose ( you find the dose that used to work for you just isnt working as well anymore.)
I found I could really concentrate well on this drug (amazing actually) but it has some serious side effects:
I got tremors in my hands (on higher doses)
I lost about 25 lbs+ in a month (a side effect is anorexia...i just felt sooo sick all the time and couldnt eat)
The higher the dose, the more OCD you become
my personality changed too. I was always anxious and my personality actually changed. I really didnt like who i was on those drugs

Basically dexedrine is prescription cocaine.... it is an amphetemine...HIGHLY ADDICTIVE....if you miss a day of taking these pills you feel like you are brain dead....and its hard because you have to go on "drug vacations" (every 6ish months you have to wean yourself off of them and give your body a break....well...good doctors would recomend this...of course mine didnt)

I went though serious withdrawals trying to get off of it. They made me really sick...
personally I would try looking into non-prescription ways of dealing with ADD.

I am only 26 have taken the drug on and off since 17 but since going back to school at 21 started taking it regularly. I have experienced substantial hair loss that is connected to dht production from increased testosterone caused by my dex use. I have become increasingly irratable and experience severe mood swings. It is also highly addictive as the effects of your original dosage quickly disappear causing you to take more. The result is I am now completely dependent on it to do anything that resembles work. It has made my symptoms of add far more noticible when not on the drug. Also you should try to take it as early as possible as sleep will become an issue. I had to start taking sleeping pills to counteract the effects of the Dexedrine bc I could not even get up to go to class. Also you may notice you have erectile difficulties that result from usage. I agree with the above posts try finding non prescription ways to deal with it. Meditation would definitely help. I also saw this reprot on CBC in Canada which showed improvements in kids grades and their ability to get of add drugs by simply exercising for 20 minutes bf studying look into it I have tried it a few times and I definitely notice a difference, lthough it is not quite as intense as dex. The problem with dex is it is an easier solution than the above natural ways. This is why I still am dependent on the drug to get daily tasks done

Hi. I'm a 28 year old male and I have been taking dexidrine for the past five years. Recently I have stopped taking the drug. It's been 20 days since taking any dexidrine. I felt that I was too dependent on this drug. Over the last year I have experienced my hair line recede a bit and now that I read that other males have experienced this I feel the drug had something to do with it. Up until three weeks ago I was taking 30 mg/day (ussually all of it when I woke up). I loved taking the drug, but my blood preassure was going thru the roof, and my mood swings were tremendous. I felt that whenever I took dex I had to max my productive time, therefore I feel like I was no longer in control of my life, but rather the drug took control. Depending on when I took the drug would be when I would eat my next meal. the addictiveness of this drug made me want it before going out to the bars. I was more fun on this drug. So those the reasons I decided to quit.

I'm now 23 years old, and I've been on Dexedrine since the age of 15. I started on the short-acting tablets (which are orange, and last approx. 4 hours) and after I think about a month, I started using the long-acting capsules (which are half orange/half blackish-brown, and last about 8-12 hours).

The weight-loss (at first) is true, but once your body gets used to the medication, the weight starts coming back. Another side-effect that I have experienced is awkwardness -- awkward moments have happened more often, when I NEVER used to experience any awkwardness EVER, before going on Dexedrine. Although this drug helps you to focus on work and get things accomplished, I find it causes other parts of life to sort of fall apart. I find that I'm never up for doing random or new activities (like trying wakeboarding for the first time, etc) -- there has to be a purpose of doing something, or else I'm just not into it, which never used to happen. I also used to be the most outgoing, friendly person. However, these days, I find I'm more argumentative and less interested in meeting new people.

One very important thing to consider is that this drug can cause a dull personality. Before beginning this drug, my specialist warned my mother and I that the stereotype of a "zombie child" isn't just a myth -- it actually does cause somewhat of a boring personality for some users.

Last but not least (only because I'm running out of time), Dexedrine is a very addictive drug for some people, but one side-effect that is extremely important to take into consideration before beginning this drug is that it can cause other addictions as well. Some people become addicted to alcohol or other drugs, and some people just begin to develop habits (which some people believe to be OCD-like). When speaking with a doctor (who wasn't my doctor; she was simply filling in for mine while mine was on vacation), she gave me a huge lecture about the use of Dexedrine (and almost refused to refill my prescription) because, apparently, Dexedrine is considered the "poor man's Speed." Just keep that in mind!

I still use this medication -- although I often think about terminating my use -- I just think that others deserve to know some of the side effects that I, and others, have experienced. I really suggest you only take the dosage you're prescribed, and if you haven't begun taking it yet, really do some research on it (find out some of the side effects, etc) to decide if it's something you want to take. It's better to know what you're getting yourself into before hand. Good luck!

I am 32 years old. I started taking Dexedrine when I was 7 years old and first diagnosed with ADD. I took it until I was 18 years old (thought I was old enough to just go off it - bad idea and ended up gaining a ton of weight and into a deep depression). I started taking it again 5 years ago. It never stunned my growth (I'm 5'9" and have always been tall - skinny yes, but still healthy).

However now that I'm married, I want to plan a family. Because Dexedrine is a Category C drug, I do have concerns about having to detox my baby once it's born. I however know that I cannot fully function and do my job without the Dexedrine. So I have to figure out what I need to do... any suggestions?

Hello: I have been using dexedrine for about 3 years now. 5mg, twice a day. I find that it picks my mood up and motivates me but as it starts to wear off I become depressed, irritable, fatigued, mentally drained, have muscle pain in my back. It used to work right away, but now takes an hour or so to kick in. It kills my appetite, which is not good, as don't get enough nutrition, which affects mood, concentration, energy, and so on. It also is known to raise blood pressure, cause chest pain, kidney problems. Medical journals state it is addictive, possible to develop tolerance and require higher doses.

I am now researching how to safely taper off this drug. If I were you, I would see a Naturopath first, see if there is a healthier and safer, non-toxic, and non-addictive alternative.

Best of luck to you.

Just because something is in Catagory C doesn't mean it's a drug that your baby would be born dependent on. Drug's that produce actual physical dependencies in a person are the ones that translate to the child also, if taken while the child is in the womb. You don't develop a physical dependence to Dexedrine, it's very interesting and well documented aspect of dextro-amphetamine. You actually develop more of a physical dependence to coffee than you do Dexedrine haha.

So you don't have to worry about your baby being born with a dependancy for Dexedrine.

I just wanted to say to the person that said your more physically dependant on coffee than you are on dexedrine, HAVE YOU EVER BEEN ON THIS STUFF?! because I beg to differ.. i couldn't find my pills today, I have so much to do and guess what i'm doing.. still in my p.j.'s snacking all day, having the soarest muscles in the world and no energy for anything!

I'm going to go result to some majical herbs.. makes me feel better.. dexedrine is sunshine and rainbows for awhile, then you realize you've screwed yourself in the long run... gawd i wish i could find those 100 dollar pills >.<

I am highly considering taking Dex for weight Loss. My husband was on it and lost all of  his weight. He was 230 pounds and after about 3 months, he was 145. I weight 210 pounds and am looking to drop down to myt healthy weight, 135. I have tried every diet in the book, but I only want to try these meds for 3 months to see if they would work as well for me. I am well aware of the side effects, and am fully prepared for them, but I am in despereate need to lose the weight. I eat a healthy balanced diet and exercise 4-5 times a week, I just can't lose the weight. Any suggestions?

I have been taking Dex on and off since I was 18 for ADD, I am now 28 and have been steadily taking this drug for 3 years. I restarted taking the drug regularly after I gave birth to my youngest (after breast feeding was done) and I thought it was wonderful because I was able to drop a lot of baby weight. HOWEVER, this is not a solution to to weight loss. I have gained every pound back because this drug loses its effect (it took about a year-but it's back)- additionally- if you can stop taking the drug- your appetite will come back. It takes away your appetite, that's it. It doesn't change that part of your body-you just eat less because the drug lies to your body about being hungry. While you have seen your hubby take it and you feel as though you really know what you're getting into, please proceed cautiously. What your husband can handle may be completely different from what your body can handle. You may be more prone to addiction. I love that you feel like you can just stop but if you read all the above answers, and from my experience- some just can't stop (no offence- but here's a comparison- someone who believes that it's okay to take cocaine for the first time- "I can't get addicted if I only do it once"- that's what the drug dealer is counting on when they give you the first hit for free). I don't know who is willing to prescribe you these meds because this is not normally prescribed for weight loss- it's for ADD/ADHD and narcolepsy. If a Doctor is willing to prescribe this for you for something it is not suppose to be prescribed for be careful- clearly they don't care about your real well being. Heck, I actually need the drug because I have ADD and I'm upset with my Doctor for not being more careful when she prescribed it to me.

I completely understand how you feel when it comes to weight. In fact I think you and I are in the exact same boat. I started at about 200-210 and then after taking Dex I dropped- I think my lowest was 155- even with all the exercise I did- I plateaued at about that number. But over the past year it's all came back (but I'm so darn tired now because I don't sleep- go to bed at 5:30 a.m. and try my best to wake up for my 2 young kids- I'm too tired to exercise now). It's a shame- I purchased all new clothes because everything was too big and I really thought that I was going to be able to keep it off- back to my old clothes now.

Have you ever had your hormone levels checked? When I was trying to find another solution to get away from these drugs, I did much research into hormone levels (thanks to hearing a lot from Dr. Phil's wife on t.v. about the subject). Weight gain and/or being unable to loose weight is a symptom of hormone imbalance. Or maybe you have just plateaued with what you currently do daily. You might have to change up your exercise routine- your body gets use to the normal exercise you're doing- Power 90 may offer you a great program. The new thing seems to be Zumba classes- I hear it works wonders! If you want to lose weight and keep it lost- this is not the way to do it and the effects can really mess you up so I urge you to find another solution because when that weight does come back- wow does the depression kick in. Oh and btw- since taking this drug regularly- my husband has suffered tremendously because our sex life has become mute. So even though I was skinnier and felt more confident when naked- I just wasn't interested (even when the kids were over at grandma and grandpa's for a sleep over and the hubby and I were given that alone time). So what are you willing to give up? Hey it might not affect you the same way- but it's unknown how it will affect you. We seem to be the same body weight so maybe if it's based on that- your body may handle it the same way mine does and that means you're in for a real ride- and not a good one-and the addiction took less than 3 months to kick in. I hope this gives you something to consider and I sincerely wish you all the best in whatever you decide.

Please don't have a child while using Dexedrine. Very bad idea!

Why are you commenting if you've never taken the drug?