I am very concerned about my son. He is 23 and I suspect he may be on some sort of drugs. The first time I suspected something ( not drugs ) was when I noticed his dilated pupils, I wanted to check them out but he wouldn’t let me and was rude. Dilated pupils are still present from time to time and I notice that he is pretty absent in his mind, if you know what I mean. I don’t want to search his room or anything as that would be violation of his privacy but I could use some more info. Thank you

To be honest, it could be drugs. I used to go out and party a lot. A lot of drugs were around and we would know that those with the biggest pupils and eyes must have been on ecstasy or speed. I don’t know what to tell you, I hope I didn’t scare you but this is what you can do. Watch his behaviour for some time. These drugs work by making you happy and full of energy at the beginning but once they stop working, a person is pretty lethargic and down for a few days. If you are still worried, try talking to his or a specialist for this kind of problems.

Laziness,
isolation
large apetite
dilated pupils
red eyes

talk to him, dont be hostile, just talk

I am also wondering about the issue of dilated pupils.
On Feb. 28, i got into a fight with my parents and took a walk.
I returned that night to see that they had locked me out.
I rang the door bell and my father would not let me in.
He said that I was stoned.

Is there any way to prove to them that I don't do drugs

If you are not using, suggest you tell your folks you would take a test (urine) to put their minds to rest. I speak as a parent of a child with problems.

Hi! My son is 15 and has had noticeably dilated pupils from early childhood. He's not on drugs, maintains excellent grades, is possibly a bit more sensitive to light than most folks but that's hard to gauge, has excellent vision, great health, pretty much okay. He gets annoyed when people ask him/accuse him of "being high" bc of the dilated pupils. Whats it called when one has this condition? Any harm from it?

hi there!
I am 44 and had a few, um, dozen experiences with drug use in my youth. Meth makes your pupils dialate, as does LSD, Ecstasy, and cocaine. If my mom wanted to see my dialated puils and I was high, I am sure I would have been rude in avoiding her inspection of my eyes! If I was NOT high, it would have been no problem. If you ask him if he is using, without being accusitory or judgemental, would he be forthcoming? that would be my first approach, especially if you are trying to display respect for his privacy. However, if your 23 year old son lives with you at home, you do have the right to dictate drugs/drug use are not acceptable on your turf. If you truly believe him to be using/abusing something, & don't feel like he's answered you honestly when you have asked, and you have clearly communicated the no dope rule, it is YOUR home and you have the right to search his room! Or ask for a urine sample to test. Walgreens sells in home drug testing kits at the pharmacy, by the way. If he is NOT using, he will say "fine, mom! waste your time and money playing with my urine!" and give you some pee. If he IS using, and wanting to hide it from you, you will likely encounter, "WHAT? Don't you TRUST ME? I won't give you a urine sample on PRINCIPLE!" Bottom line, ask these questions; is his behaviour changing for the worse? Is he erratic emotionally? Secretive? Strapped for cash? Keeping a job/grades up? Is he hanging out with new friends? where there is smoke, theres usually a fire, so after answering the questions above, ask your kid. Then ask for a sample. PS: Stressors including sexual activity, physical activity, lack of sleep, emotional upsets, etc can cause dialated pupils, too!

This could all backfire on the parent if the son or daughter is a teenager, and even though they are clean, they want to rebel against this obvious invasion of their privacy. All I can say is try not to accuse them directly, because if they stop talking to you there is no hope for them. Just don't wait to long to say something. I am 25 and I have already lost 3 of my good friends to drug overdoses.

Good Luck to all

You said you suspect your son of using drugs, but that you did not want to search his room. If he is living in your house, it is not his room....it is your room. Search it!!! If you find evidence of drug use, you can then work on trying to help him stop. If you don't find anything, then he is either very careful or he is not using drugs. But either way, you will have made an effort to help your son. Good luck

Get your facts straight. MARIJUANA DOES NOT MAKE YOUR PUPILS DILATED !! EXTACY DOES.. it contains meth, cocaine, heroin, speed etc.

It can also be caffeine also energy drinks. Man up lady, tell your son you still live under my rules, are YOU DOING DRUGS!

Ok! So your son is effing 23! He is an adult! He can make is OWN choices, and he doesn't need his mother telling him what he can and cant do..ok? Time to let your son live on his own!