Hello! My 7 year old son had an ear infection and was put on amoxicillan and then approximately 8 days later he began to be incredibly tired, sleeping a lot--falling asleep at 6pm and falling asleep in school. Teacher noticed he seemed to be "zoning" out and just out of it. He had a sudden onset also at this same time of what I will call tics with temporal eye rolling where his eyes would roll about every 10 seconds. We took him to his pediatrician and the pediatrician noted as we did that his pupils were the size of saucers and would not react (constrict) to his pen light during his exam over the course of 1 1/2 hours. The pediatrician sent him for an emergency CAT scan fearing he was about to have a stroke or a brain tumor. CAT scan normal...only showed some sinus issues. We had a complete panel of bloodwork up done that same day, including toxicology just in case he got in to some medicine (which he denied and we honestly would not know how he would in our house). That was all normal as well. He went to a pediatric neurologist at a children's hospital and had an EEG...again normal. Then had an MRI...normal. They were considering absent seizures. The "tics" as they are calling them came on sudden which aren't typical for tics and came on with the other symptoms. The pupils being nonreactive is the mystery here and now they are reacting but what was that? Also, my son had extreme mood swings of being overly sensitive, tantruming, and aggressive which he is normally not. We have already ruled out anything traumatic that could have happened to him so please don't dismiss these medical syptoms to that! We have a stable loving home and there have been no changes in our lives lately that would attribute for his behavior changes. These behavior changes seem to be related to this onset of other symptoms because prior to this, he wasn't like this. Also, when his tics (eyes are rolling) are happening a lot, we notice his pupils are more dialated but not to the size of saucers like the day they were non reactive. We have no clue what to do now or what test to do next to gain any answers. He was put on Tenex to help the tics as this medication is often used to control tics yet that didn't help at all. Made him more tired. Increased the dose of Tenex and still, no help to the tics. Our fear is that the doctors are going to say what they have been saying is that his symptons don't seem to be make sense together but agree they must be connected and yet they have said it is a "MYSTERY." I am not okay with this answer. Has anyone ever heard of this before, know of someone who had similar symptoms, anything?? I will be so grateful for any suggestions, insights, feedback...anything!
Thank you!!!!
Mommy to Dalton

It surprises me they didn't immediately think Dalton was having focal seizures. Twitching, eyes rolling, fixed and dilated pupils...that describes a focal seizure to me...

Now not being there to witness it makes it more difficult - but based on description alone that is just jumping out at me. Do you know if there is a reason they ruled that out?

In any event - get a second opinion! There is clearly something neurological going on...I would see what a different medical group comes up with!

My son has almost same issues but EEG abnormal lots of spikes no seizures. he is 7 and now on depakote and tenex. meds do not seem to help. Going for second opnion soon. Do you have any new news?

Sounds like PANDAS. My son was recently diagnosed. Has your son has strep throat or ear infections much?

Did this start when he was on his medication. Did you know antibiotics gets rid of the good bacteria in the gut. You do know that there is another so-called brain in the gut. It is in the enteric nervous system.
My daughter has seizures during the month at the same time. But when she is put on antibiotics there are added seizures. That person is right your son is having seizures. I am surprised the neurologist did not figure that out. As I said both brains are connected together. Next time ask a new doctor about acidophilus probiotics