I am a 16 year old girl and I have had dilated pupils for as long as I can remember. I never had any problems with them until people started asking me if I was on drugs, which made me fairly uncomfortable. So I went searching the internet for another reason, since I am not using any kind of drugs or medication. This morning I turned on a flashlight and pointed it to my eyes, and my pupils shrinked for three seconds and then started pulsating. After ten seconds they were back to being huge and dilated. Can somebody tell me why is this happening? I've read that this could be connected to stress and trauma in the past. Is that true? -I also have eye floaters that rarely appear, but my father has the same so I thought that is just a heritage.

It may be that this is just a normal thing for you.  The pupils are things that allow light to enter your eyes.  The darker the environment, the larger the pupils will be.  Your eyes are just naturally the way they are.  Do you have parents that have larger pupils?  It may be hereditary and as long as your vision isn't affected, you should be fine. I am sure your doctor has your eyes with a light in the past and didn't say anything, there must not be any problem detected.  As far as the floaters go, they are common in many people.  There is not much you can do to get rid of them. 

If the way your eyes look bother you, you may see if there are any contacts to make the pupils look smaller. 

My father in fact has one pupil that is a bit larger than the other, so you are possibly right. It is just that I got scared when I saw things people wrote on the internet about pupils that pulsate under the light.
Anyways, thank you very much for your reply.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use