I am 20 years old and though I am still young to talk seriously about contraception, I have a few questions. I mean, I am not young, but I am not sexually active yet, but once it comes, I want to be ready. I have heard that many women uses diaphragm, so I think this must be good. Anyway, I do not understand what is that and how does it works. Can you tell me more about this; I really think women should know all about her protection.

First, I will tell you something like definition of diaphragm; that is dome-shaped bowl made of thin, flexible rubber that sits over the cervix. That is the area between the vagina and the uterus. Function is that the diaphragm keeps sperm from entering the uterus by blocking the cervix. For added protection, spermicidal substance could be put into the bowl of the diaphragm and along its edges before inserting. The diaphragm is inserted up to 6 hours before having sex and more substance that is spermicidal must be used each time you have sex while wearing the diaphragm. After sex, diaphragm must be left in for at least 6 hours, but never longer than 24 hours. The diaphragm can be removed by placing a finger into the vagina to pull it out, each time after sexual intercourse is finished and time passed. It must be washed, rinsed, and dried, then stored in its case, and not be dusted with baby powder and should never be used with oil-based lubricants. These substances can cause the rubber to become brittle and crack, and protection is not safe no more. Some other vaginal creams, such as yeast medicines, can also damage diaphragm.