I would like to hear about your means of contraception. Is any woman here using the diaphragm as birth control method? I have to admit that it sounds like the most plausible method for me although I have been using foam so far. So, what are your experiences on this matter?

I must admit that the only effective contraception method for me is a condom. And I don’t care if the guy won’t put it on, no condom, no sex! That’s my parole and it actually works. I guess many people are afraid that something as thin as condom definitely can protect them from unwanted pregnancy or a disease. Still, for me it works the best!

i have been using the diaphragm for about 16 years without any problems.we have sex quite often 3 to 4 times a week.about 6 years ago i switched to a milex wide-seal diaphragm. it is a little easier to insert and my husband cannot feel it even when he thrusts deep inside of me. the wide seal makes it where i can smear more contraceptive jelly on it giving me more protection . the only problem that i have is when we are starting to make love and my husband is between my legs he sometimes just wants to put his penis in me and i have to push him off long enough to put my diaphragm inside of my vagina.

joelle wrote:

dear joelle- my husband and i have been using the diaphragm for many years. sometimes i put inside of myself and at other times of our lovemaking my husband will reach over in my nightstand and get my diaphragm put the contraceptive jelly on and insert it in me which he certainly knows how to do. generally we will have sex 3to4 times a week. the only problem that i have it that leaky feeling afterward. and putting a bidet in my bathroom solved that.

I AM 45 YEARS OLD HAPPILY MARRIED AND HAVE BEEN USING A #65 MILEX WIDE-SEAL DIAPHRAGM FOR 5 YEARS. ALTHOUGH MY HUSBAND AND HAVE SEX 3 OR 4 TIMES A WEEK IT HAS WORKED VERY GOOD FOR US. MY MOTHER ORIGINALLY HAD ME GET FITTED FOR ONE AFTER I CAME BACK FROM MY HONEYMOON. SINCE I HAD BOTH OF MY CHILDREN BY C-SECTION WHEN I WAS FITTED 5 YEARS AGO IT WAS THE SAME SIZE THAT I USED 21 YEARS AGO.BY THE WAY WE HAVE 2 DIAPHRAGMS ONE IN MY NIGHT STAND AND ANOTHER IN MY HUSBANDS. HE CAN PUT IT IN ME JUST AS FAST AS I CAN AND THAT IS WHEN THE LIGHTS ARE CUT OFF. DURING THE PAST 5 BYEARS I HAVE USED SEVERAL TYPES OF CONTRACEPTIVE JELLY ON IT. WE NEVER HAVE SEX MORE THAN ONCE A NIGHT AND I  ALWAYS  PULL IT OUT IN THE MORNING WHEN I AM IN THE SHOWER. IF I AM STILL LEAKING REAL BAD I WILL USUALLY DOUCHE IN THE SHOWER.

a week after I got married my mother had me to get fitted with a diaphragm. 2 years later I wanted my husband to put a baby in me and I stopped using the diaphragm.after having 2 children my gyno. put me on b.c. pills. 17 years later after trying many types of b.c. pills when I was 37 I got fitted with a milex wide-seal diaphragm it was the same size that I first got fitted for a #65 because I had both of mt children by C-section. I have been using this method now for 4 years and both my husband and really like it. my body just didn't like hormonal birth control. we have a active sex life 3 or more times a week. and we plan on using this method until I go through menopause.

the only comment I would like to make is that my molther and father have been using a diaphragm for many years for birth control and mother told me that they have sex quite often , 3 or more times a week . she is 45 years old and I am 22 years old and since I got married 2 years ago I have been using b.c. pills but also have had bad side effects. after I have had 2 children I plan to start using either a diaphragm or the femcap for contraception. as a young girl growing up my sister and I could always tell when mother and daddy had sex because mother would always take her diaphragm out in the shower in the next morning and would always leave it with her douche bag in the shower to dry out. we always found it interesting to sneak in her bathroom and look in the shower to tell what they had done the night before.

i am a happily married female 41 years old i got married when i was 20 , and for 15 years i have been using 5 or 6 different types of birth control pills except when we had 2 children. on all of my use of b.c. pills i had some types of bad side effects. so when i was around 35 i took my older sisters advice and got fitted with a milex wide-seal diaphragm. at first it was a little trouble putting it in me at night in the bed , but as my husband and i have a very,very active sex life i learned how to put it in me very quickly. we like it so much my husband has one in his night stand and he can insert it in me as good as i can. we have been using the diaphragm for 6 years and i have not had any problems from it although i douche a lot more with the diaphragm to keep myself from leaking the next day and smelling fresh because my husband will do oral on me sometimes. we plan to keep on using it until i go through menapause

dear carol- I am 47 years old and I have been using a milex wide-seal diaphragm for 4 years. sometimes I put it inside of myself and at other times my husband will put it in me..we have a extra active sex life and I don't ever refuse my husband when he wants to have me. the only little problem that I have is when I get up in the morning to pull the diaphragm out of me if I am leaking real bad I will get out my douche bag and douche myself out to have that fresh and clean feeling. I know that a lot of physicians recommend that you don't douche but I have never had any problems from douching too much. sincerely courtney

I am 46 years old and we started using the milex wide-seal diaphragm 2 years ago . Both my husband and I like this method. He has one with a tube of contra gel in his night stand and I have the same thing in my night stand. When we make love my husband can put it up inside of me just as quick as I can. We usually have sex at least 3times a week. I plan on using this method until I go through menapause

My husband and I have been using a diaphragm for over twenty years with no " accidents ". I used the pill when I was in college and when we were first married. I stopped taking them to get pregnant. I noticed an increase in my sex drive when I went off the pill but I thought it was due to the desire to get pregnant. Ended up having a spontaneous abortion two months into the pregnancy and my doc recommended using condoms for a couple of months prior to trying again. We used them but they were not ideal for both of us. My mom and sister both used diaphragms and they convinced me to try it. We used it for about six months before trying again. I got pregnant the first month. I used it again while breast feeding. When I stopped breast feeding I went back to the pill but noticed lower sex drive again so we switched back to using a diaphragm and we have not changed. I started with a 70 mm and I use an 85 mm now after three children. I am thinking about having some surgery to make my vagina tighter. Seems like a big step though!

We usually have intercourse four or five times a week. My habit is to put it in well in advance of intercourse typically when my husband gets home from work if I want sex or think my husband wants it. We have non verbal ques between us that we sense. In his case, a kiss on the neck with a hand on my breast is a sign for me to put it in sooner than later. The girls picked up on this so it is not as subtle as we thought! I always leave the empty case by the sink so he will see it when he gets ready for bed in case he missed my clues. I always wear my diaphragm all day on weekends and when we are together alone so we can have a quick boink now and then.

I use a coil spring diaphragm. It works well for me and because it is a coil spring diaphragm, I can use an introducer with it. Using an introducer makes it easy to put in standing up rather than lying down in bed. I always insert a applicator of spermicide during foreplay. Most of the time my husband takes care of this just before we connect. I always wait at least eight hours before I remove it. If I am home, I usually douche with a two quart bag when I am taking a shower. I use six oz of white vinegar in the bag. That is more than most women use but that is what my mom and grandmother did for a douche so I do the same thing since that is what they did when they took their diaphragms out. It worked for them so I do it as well. I usually wait until I am at home to take it out so I can douche but I will often remove it at work if we had intercourse in the morning, put it in a lunch bag and wear a pad after, obviously before removal as well. Increased leakage is the only thing that bothers me but a panty liner usually does the trick unless it is right after sex.

Over the years, I have used coil spring diaphragms from Ramses, Ortho, and Koromex and never saw any real difference between them. Diaphragms are getting very hard to find in the US. Right now, I am using a 85 mm DUREX diaphragm I bought ( old stock ) in the UK last Summer. I also bought 3 Reflections diaphragms at the same time. That should last me until I am through menopause. We used Ramses jelly or Koromex cream for many years because my husband they provided less lubrication than the vaginal jelly products from Ortho or Koromex that tended to make me too slippery. Now that both are not available we use Duragel or a spermicide jell. I am trying to find a compounding farmacie to make up a batch of lactic acid based vaginal cream.

The last thing I can say if you choose to use a diaphragm, develop a routine for using it. Don't wait until your in the heat of the moment to stop and insert it.

I am 47 years old and my husband and I have been using a milex wide-seal diaphragm with contra gel for 4 years. We usually have sex 2or3 times a week and we both love this method. It really works good for us without any hormones.

My husband will not use a condom , so at 47 years old I am using a milex diaphragm for birth control

it has works fine for my husband and I also

yes my husband still use the diaphragm when we have sex. at the present time I am 39 yo and my husband is 41. after having 2 children and using several types of bc pills and having bad side effects from most of them I decided to get myself fitted with a diaphragm about 4 years ago. I have not had any bad side effects with the diaphragm. you just have to remember to put it in you before sex and pull it out in the morning. my husband likes the way it feels to him , and sometimes he puts it inside of me at night and pulls it out in the morning. we have a very active sex life doing it at least 3 times a week.