I am on day 9 of my new birth control pills, generic for ortho tri cyclean. My boyfriend and I were having sex, when the condom broke. He did not ejaculate inside me, but I'm afraid pre-cum may have gotten inside. The website says the pills are effective if taken consistently for 7 days straight. Anybody out there have any ideas on how likely am I to be pregnant?

When was the sexual encounter? Has it been more than 72 hours?

If it has not been more than 72 hours you can take the morning after pill which will help in preventing pregnancy. I was on ortho when I got pregnant with my son but the doctor said it helps level out my hormones making it possible for me to conceive. I would suggest taking the morning after pill if your still in the time frame. Its good your on birth control but since your fairly new to it the birth control is not very strong in your system. Most doctors say it takes at least a month to get in your system and prevent pregnancy. I would not worry if he did not ejaculate inside of you or on you but you can get pregnant from pre-cum. Did the condom have spermicidal lubricant on it? If it did most of the pre-cum would of been killed by the spermicidal lubricant.

Yes it was within 72 hours ago, i do have that option. I guess it was just regular lubricant on it, nothing special. The studies show that precum pregnancies most commonly happen when you go for round 2 & the sperm are still there from previous ejaculation. Not that precum doesn't contain sperm, just most of them don't travel far enough to reach the egg. I'm actually still bleeding a bit from my period. So I'm not sure what to think or do.

I would take the morning after pill as a precaution but most likely your not pregnant if your still on your period. The egg would have been shed when your uterus wall lining was shed during the period. All men are different so the level of sperm in their pre-cum varies. There is more sperm during the second round or if he has masturbated and ejaculated within the last 24 hours.

What exactly will happen when taking the morning after pill?

Most morning after pills work three ways...

1. If you haven't released an egg it will stop you from producing an egg.
2. If you have released your egg it will stop the egg from becoming fertilized.
3. If your egg has been released and fertilized it will stop it from implanting to the uterus wall.