Today (Jan 31) I noticed dark brown marks on my underwear. It kind of looks like I didn't make it to the bathroom in time. I've been on Ortho Triceclen Lo for four months now and I'm on day 18 of my cycle. My boyfriend and I have been having protected sex since October 2, 2010. We always use spermicidal condoms and he always pulls out before ejaculation. The last time we had sex was last Sunday, Jan 23. I'm nervous the dark brown spotting could be signs of pregnancy. It's normal for me to shed old blood before my period, but it hasn't ever been this early before my period. I'm sure I'm overreacting, but could I be pregnant?

Chances that you are pregnant when you are using two safe methods of protection of pregnancy – birth control pill and spermicidal condoms virtually don’t exist. Brown spotting, or old blood, could be caused by a little rougher intercourse that caused small irritations of your cervix. But also, birth control pills work in two ways – to stop the ovulation and to change the lining of the uterus. Combine that with some kind of stress and anxiety about pregnancy and chances are you will experience either early otr late period or some kind of spotting.

Our last encounter with sex was a bit rougher than usual, so I can see how irritation could have occurred. I checked today and the brown spots now are kind of liquidly, the same way it looks when I shed old blood. I am very worried about getting pregnant, even though my boyfriend and I use as much precaution as possible. He makes fun of me about it sometimes. -_-

Fun or not, if you don't feel ready to have a child yet using every way of protection from pregnancy is your choice - I wonder how much fun it would be for him if he found out all of the sudden he is to become a father 8-|