I have been in and out of various doctors' offices more times than I care to recall now, and I STILL have no diagnosis. Doctors could not distinguish between alopecia and lupus, and I thought the time had come to take matters into my own hands. Are there people here with either of these diseases? Does anyone know of ANY way at all to distinguish one from the other? How can I finally find out what is wrong with me?

I see that this was posted over a year ago...I am curious if you ever got your diagnosis.  I have recently been diagnosed with alopecia.  The difference may not be evident at first:  if your only symptom is hair loss, chances are you have alopecia; if symptoms become worse and start affecting other parts of your body than your hair follicles (joints and kidneys are most common), then chances are they will change your dx to lupus.