I have had a swollen gland (or lymph node) in my neck for about a year. I have no other swollen glands, but I have had alopecia for about just as long. Could the two things be related?

i have just found out i have this horrible disorder and i 2 also have a swollen gland??? so maybe there are some links between?
i have been reading a few post's on here and on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alopecia_areata and it seems people tend 2 get these patch's of hair loss on 1 side of the body and that has made me wonder if your glad is on the same side of your body as your hair loss? cos mine is.
i wanna also add that this has happened 2 me about a 2 months ago when i got my hair cut, at 1st i fort it was the barber that had cut my hair cos i had rushed him! i was going out that night! anyway i left it 4 about a month b4 i got my hair cut again but the patch only got bigger i have since fell in 2 deep depression and have not left my bedroom in a week :'(
i shall try rubbing a cut onion on it and hope that works because i dont think i'll be able 2 face the outside world and go 2 my doctor

Go to the DR. I have this to and the steroids shots helped ALOT the stop the hair loss and you will see hair growing in after about 1 month i have had2 sets of shots over 4 months and have about 1 inch of hair all over the old bald spots:D!!!! I also have swollen glands in my neck are they related to our AA??

In December my daughter notice a bald patch at the crown of my head, I went to docs they did blood tests all came back ok, before the hair loss the crown was itchy so when I got itchy further down I was concerned it was another bald bit coming, seems not as it has been a few months and not lost any hair there but doc gave me steriod lotion betacap to try on my crown and Im glad to say that my hair is growing back, but the itchy bits further down were tender to touch and after checking out over the net it seems its my glands at top of my neck just over the hair line, I am hoping this is just a sign that the glands are just working hard to fix my AA but I will visit doc this week. I have found various comments on the net with AA and swollen glands so I suspect they are related.

hey i know it has been a while since you posted on here but i wanted to know how your condition was going.

i have the same symptoms along with some weight gain and irregularity during my menstrual cycle.

please let me know how youre doing, im losing all hope here.

Please don't ever lose hope, my hair has grown back, the glands are not so swollen but I do have some kinda exzema on my scalp (as well as a few patches else where on my body) The betacap lotion is helping but it stings like hell (probably cos I have itched my head to much!) M clothes are now tiny and everyone thinks i have lost a lot of weight (I have never ever been a size8!! usually a 12) but I have been getting weighed and there is not much change there hmmm weird! But please hold some hope, things always get better in time ;-) Send me your email if you like and I will contact you direct, take care :-) x

I am having the same problem. I have two silver dollar size bald spots that appeared a few days after I noticed my lymph nodes down my neck were swollen. I do think this is alopecia areata but have not yet been formally diagnosed. What I know of it so far is that your body's white blood cells start to attack your hair follicles causing hair loss. When our lymph nodes are swollen that means your body is producing more white blood cells (usually to fight an infection) So I do think that the swollen lymph nodes have a lot to do with the alopecia. I am not a doctor, just someone trying to understand the craziness going on with my hair. I hope this helps

I don't have swollen glands but I did spray my cologne in this one spot of my neck everyday for years and the balding started there . I think there is a correlation. Its grew to almost half of my neck, stopping in the middle. I got shots from the dermatologist, lil hair grew back and insurance covered most but went for two visits and paid $50 each visits. I then decided to do laser hair removal. Got half off cause only need laser for one side, paid $225 for four sessions. Originally $150 a session, I bought three sessions and got the fourth free, $450 cut in half for only half the neck. If I stayed with the shots then I 'm sure that I would have paid more. Now I have no hair on my neck and only have to shave my face. It pays for its self in shaving cream and expensive razor use eventually down the road and looks smooth and clean. I would do it again. Something to think about. They sell a home Laser for about $550, that I bout for my chest and stomach. Just started using, no real results yet. I have three months to return for $ back. Derm office laser is much stronger tho. Good luck.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed***Please read our Terms of Use