I have been diagnosed with Alopecia Areata.

One day out of the blue I started to feel this irritating itching in my scalp and within a week I saw my hair has fallen out in a perfect round 1 inch in diameter bald spot on the top of my head. Following that, the same spot got wide and other hair loss in patches stated to show up. Now when this happened I had to wear my hair up all the time and it depressed me because I did not know what was happening to me.

I also noticed when I am studying my head starts to hurt and the affected areas starts to get really irritated. It affected my studies…from a grade A student I fell to a grade C student.

I visited approximately 5 doctors who gave me different diagnosis, and load of medication for things I was sure was not related. Then someone told me I should visit a dermatologist (which i did do).
Dermatologist diagnosed me with Alopecia Areata, and then she gave me Cortisone injections that had a side effect of weight gain (this adds to my depression). I have trouble losing the weight to this day and I also have a lot of stomach problems after the treatment.

Even thought some patches are slowly growing back, there is another problem… I have very straight hair and now the new growth is growing back really curly. I am really lost and depress about the whole situation. I even thought about shaving off all of my hair. But fat and bald don’t work for a woman.

People in society can be very mean; you have to suffer with the pain of the illness and the mocking of mean mindless people who just don’t understand.

Anyway, I just wanted to share this with people who have also been diagnosed with Alopecia Areata, to let them know what they have to face and that they are not alone.

I know

I was diagnosed in December 2007. My life is a constant struggle to feel good about myself. I have worn ugly wigs and even more unattractive hair extensions. I hope thing get better soon but until then I'm staying indoors.

This is so miserable

hey all,

one of my first memories (i was probably 2) is of my mom spazzing out to my dad because i was losing hair. later i found out she took me to the doctor and i was diagnosed with alopecia areata. the doctor told her there was nothing she could do; she would just have to let it happen.

my mom, being the amazing force that she is, refused to just sit back and watch. she told my grandparents and, tuns out, the disease runs through my family. she found out that a really odd family secret was to rub onion on the balding spot and in a short time (in my case, about 2 weeks) hair starts to regrow.

now, she didn't tell me any of this until i was around 9. i didn't believe her (you can imagine a 9 year old child absolutely does not want to be followed around the house with an onion in hopes of regrowing a small patch of hair) and refused to let her do it again.

thankfully, i didn't have another relapse until i was about 17. at that point, however, i was under the impression that the hair would grow back on its own and everything would be fine without the onion. of course, 2 years later the hair loss has gotten far worse. i'm now missing probably 50% of the hair on my scalp. after trying cortizone shots and multiple topical cremes with no success, i became desperate and went to my mom for help. she started with the onion treatment and... all my hair is currently growing back!!

i know it sounds ridiculous, and it probably doesn't work for everybody. but if you're as desperate as i was, try it. it doesn't hurt and there's actually scientific proof as to why it would work (weird, right?). i'm sure you've all heard about why hair loss occurs due to alopecia areata. if not, then quick summary: white blood cells attack hair follicles. rubbing the balding spot with a cut onion slightly irritates the scalp in a very natural way, thereby bringing a different type of white blood cell into the area and sending the old ones away. your hair follicles are then left alone to regrow. i'm not sure if it help prevent relapses, but the treatment definitely worked for me.

most importantly though, it IS really hard to feel good about yourself with this disease. it sucks and it's so unpredictable. i recently went to a pool party, thinking i would just wear my hair up and nobody would notice- i spent the entire day hiding in the changing room, while my friends tried to help me put my hair back up so i looked presentable. but what's really cool about this story is, i could never have done that on my own. i had never told anyone but my mom/dad about my hair until a month before the pool party. by then it seemed pointless to hide it from my close friends, so i let them know what was happening ( on a need to know basis). since then, they've helped me through every potentially hair wrecking event- from pool parties to formals.

so ok, i know that was a really long post but i hope something in there helps. stay strong!

Hi Guest....I am also suffering from the same disease...after reading ur post regarding the onion therapy, i felt very happy.......actually I was undergoing treatment from a dermatologist and she is giving me injections and it is working fine for me....I have taken 3 injections until now with 6 weeks gap...and my hair is growing back normally....I was very depressed when i was diagnosed with this disease....but after having the injections by seeing the regrowth of my hair I felt very happy...

I think i should have one more shot later next week...but now after reading ur post I am thinking to try with onion .......Thanks for posting the useful thread...May be it will help other people who r also suffering with the same disease....

I will suggest the people who are suffering from Alopecia Areata should first go to a Dermatologist and take the medication ...later u can try the other things also...

Hope this will help other people....

Hey, So I had alopecia areata only in a small spot when I was in 2nd grade. Then when I was 12 it happened again, but basically my whole head. I wore hats to cover it, and never spoke about it to anyone. I was on DCPC, weekly ( it was given by my doctor in the hospital every week), it helped my hair grow back, and ever since I have been having spots every now and then. It has ruined my whole life, I would be so much more enthusiastic and do things, and go swimming (which I used to love) but I cant cause I don't want people to see my little spots and notice my thin hair. Now I have one eyebrow which is missing part of it, so I have to color it in daily with pencil, and mascara. (yes mascara), cause the pieces of hairs that are there, are blond that you don't even see them.
Does anyone have any suggestions of good doctors in the new York area, and any suggestions for my eyebrow.
The person that said about using onion, what exactly do you do? You just rub any onion on the spot? how often,how much etc...
Thanks

i have alopecia as well since i was 6 in kindergarten my whole head of hair is gone it was past my shoulders and it was a very ruff time i wore hats and stuff. until recently ive worn wigs after having this for 10 years i dont trust those shots because of the side effects. i have been reading about the onion thing alot! so ive tried it starting today. It is not easy sometimes i have break downs BUT just keep thinking your beautiful and this doesnt make you less of a person. Its something that we can't help

also i have 1 full eyebrow and eyelash and 1 that have 2 fill in, i also wear a fake lash on the other so nobody will detect its really hard

its been 20 years i have alopecia aerata. when i was a kid i have been to doctors used to apply some ointments on the patch. but kinda gave up on it after that because nothing seem to work. my question is do you think this onion treatment would work on me after these many years of not treating my patchy bald areas. my patches are so smooth that i dont think there is a chance that hair would grow back.

I recently noticed a teeny tiny bald spot on the top of my head. It's about the size of a pencil eraser. I am terrified that it might be alopecia areata. I do not have good health insurance so I cannot afford to spend a bunch of money going to the doctor. I got my hair highlighted a few days before I noticed the spot. It's been about two weeks since I noticed it. Is this how it starts or am I just being paranoid?

I found my first bald spot, located just behind my left ear, when I was 13 years old and sitting in English class. Thankfully, I had a group of extremely supportive friends who--athough obviously grateful to not be the one afflicted--were constantly kind, understanding, trustworthy, and always attempting to help me see the humor in my situation. My mom was always very involved in my life (I've always suspected that she was more distressed about the alopecia than me) and immediately began an aggressive and all-encompassing research mission centered around all things alopecia. Over the course of the next year, we tried EVERYTHING, that is except for the onion thing which I've never heard of but will be trying, in a desperate attempt to regrow that spot before entering high school. I visited 6 esteemed doctors specializing in 5 different fields, received 3 rounds of cortisone shots, slathered on layers of cream, tested for thyroid and other immune problems, inspected my skin for any telling abnormalities, and suppressed the urge to vomit from most foul tasting herbs supplied by holistic medicine clinic which required meticulous measuring and brewing twice a day, every day. Despite these efforts to combat the disease, alopecia took over. By 9th grade my hair was embarrassingly thin, and there was nothing left to do but buy a wig.

Once again my mother and I embarked on a tedious journey, driving far and wide to investigate every wig store Massachusetts has to offer. We looked into wigs specifically designed for child cancer patients,  wigs used for movies, wigs that African Americans commonly elect to wear for fashion, wigs sold online and modeled by attractive, smiling women pretending to have alopecia. The search became increasingly discouraging as we dismissed each and every piece as too plastic or too fake, even the ones purported to be pure human hair. Finally, a coworker told my mom about a nearby salon that sold custom made wigs. We made an appointment, and despite the ridiculous price tag we considered it worth it. It was a disaster. The salon insisted that the wig must have bangs, it was incessantly itchy, and everyone at school noticed.

The worst part about alopecia for me was the blow to my self image that to this day, at age 21, still wavers on a daily (hourly? minutely?) basis. I was always a confident kid growing up, very outgoing and exceptionally self assured. It may have been the alopecia or it may simply have been hitting puberty, but since then my personality has taken a radical turn. I am now shy, quiet, easily embarrassed, and nervous. How can I comfortably converse with someone when I'm convinced that all they can see are my drawn on eyebrows, thinning eyelashes, and odd hairline? I'm convinced that everyone notices how I wear my hair down in the same style every day, how I constantly touch and run my fingers through it, how I am forever making excuses as to why I absolutely cannot get my hair wet, and how I freak every time somebody tries to touch it. I panic when I think about the future, positive that I'll never be able to trust a man enough to let him see me without my wig and eyebrows on and worrying that any children will have to suffer what I experience.

But the story isn't all bad. I've been living with alopecia for 8 years now and have slowly gathered valuable strategies that help to push my insecurities into the back corner of my mind, even if never quite completely out of my head. After the first wig, my hair grew back and stayed for a glorious 6 months, only to fall out more quickly and widely than before until I ultimately lost all eyebrows, eyelashes, and body hair. This was hard. I spent many many hours crying about it in agony. However, for the most part, I learned to suck it up. I put on my makeup and my fake stick on eyebrows (NOT recommended) and dealt with life. People generally didn't say anything, but I'm not nearly hopeful enough to conclude that this was a result of them just not noticing. Regardless, it was during this time that I met my "soul mate," a regular guy who could have easily chosen a girl with hair but instead chose me. And when I finally mustered the courage to tell him about it, he didn't understand why I thought it was such a big deal.

Today, my eyelashes and body hair have regrown (yay!) but thats about it. I don't tell many people about it, but of the few that know I have received zero negative reactions. I know better than to collapse with despair when I encounter the first d****t to be insensitive enough to actually not like me because of it. To keep looking as normal as possible, I've discovered that MAC brow gel and applying pressed powder in the same color with an angled brush works best for drawing convincing eyebrows. I know to buy wigs from orthodox Jewish women. Very religious ones wear wigs ("tichel") every day and have by FAR the best wear, quality, selection, styles, and pricing. Best of all, bangs are not mandatory. I found  hairdresser in my area that also does wigs. No matter where you're located, the chances are likely that you live near one. They can sew in a small square of silicone that you can stick special double sided tape to for a much more secure hold (the tape may need to be purchased online, but its cheap and worth it). I force myself to get on with my life. Sometimes I look at other girls and I'm jealous about how much freedom they have because they have hair and how they never even entertained the idea that they may lose it. My sister has gorgeous hair. I find myself wishing for the ability to do things I probably wouldn't remotely care about given that I had hair, like hanging my head upside down off the couch and doing somersaults. But in reality, all these things are undeniably trivial. Always remember that yes, things could be so much better, but things could easily be significantly worse. And believe it or not, everyone's life is exactly the same way.

Has anyone heard of Bloomsbury of London? I am considering going there for a wig. It was between there, Lucinda Ellery, and The Belgravia Centre. Any reviews?

I a Young Man now was also diagnosed with Alopecia Areata when i was i believe 14 years old. I was sitting in class one day after just getting a hair cut the day before at a new barber...a black child...so you know having a fresh cut is important. So i was sitting in class talking to one of my best friends jamie...when a group of my other friends to the far left of me said that i needed to brush my hair.

Now from this response i was confused because i always keep my hair...brushed 24/7 and because i have indian and white and a bunch of other stuff in my blood i have very good hair...pretty boy is what people called me...so im sure you can understand the confusion.

After i asked why...they told me that my hair was i guess up in some way or just not right they asked me if i had a brush with me i said no..so 1 of them lent me theirs..so i brushed my hair and i said is it straight..and they said no....and your hairs messed up. I didnt qute understand what they meant not in the least bit.....so they eventually just said check it out later...and i continued my to be thought regular day of school..and waited till i arrived at home to see what was wrong.

Then again now that i think about it...and truthfully i never checked it out...it wasn't until one day when i decided that Waves were becoming too much of a fad and people were tryn so hard to get them that i didnt want that hair style anymore...so 1 day i took a long shower and washed my hair clean of all my waves and straight. i dont really remember how or when it happened or what expressino i had on my face...but after i think looking at my head 1 morning out of the blue i saw this bald spot on my head.

I was shocked as to see this horrific sight in the mirror.....i didnt know what to do...i believe the incident was so terrifying and shocking that i really dont remember much of anything as to how it happened that day...or what i did after but i do know that it was...a very depressing stage in my life. I spoke to my parents told my closest friends and loved ones my problem...they didnt know what to do...at first they told me i should just try and wait it out and hopefully my hair will just grow back...and luckily for me it was summer break so i didnt have to worry about it... It was my last year in middle school and i was moving onto high school..

8th grade for me was my best year in school since i had been alive...i had made honor role all 4 9 weeks except the last 1 sort of...got sort of lazy and tired and since it was nearing the end i was just looking forward to having fun with all my friends and enjoying my last year at my middle school it was great...i was very popular you could say...i knew everyone and everyone knew me if you didnt you didnt go to the school and sometimes people who didnt knew me also. Things were going great.

Upon that summer break i was kind of sadened and depressed..hoping praying to god every night to give me back my hair....but no it was anything but that...what was worse...i believe from the stress and anxiety i acquired from...the disease i lost more hair in the back of my head....i was even more devastated...and truly sad....my first year of highschool was horrible...all the friends i knew...soon distanced them selves from me...because of the disease i had gotten...i dont blame them...who wants to be friends with a guy with huge bald spots on his head...i wouldn't unless we had been friends for like 10 years or something....it was very dramatic my first year it caused me pain undescribable i didnt think such a thing would ever happene to me.

I still have it to this day...and i agonize over it almost every time i try to place my hair in a manor in which it wont be seen so easily...or at all which is what i hope for the most...i grew my hair out...and i look at it as being a blessing from god...and the disease as being a curse and plauge from the devil or demons of the earth....i thank god for blessing me with girl like hair when grown out...some what that i can cover my bald spots to a degree where they are not really seen.

Though every day i struggle through school...its hardest when the wind is blowing because my hair is moved and the bald spots are then seen if not fixed right away....now i bring a brush and a comb with me to school every day..and whenever im in class im grateful to my teachers who let me wear my hood in class even though they do not know the disease i am suffering from...i also sit in the back now...which for my 9th grade year because i had broken my glasses i could not see the board at all which caused my grades to drop from High A's n B's to low C's and F's....it was very dramatic and devastating for me because i was so very looking forward to trying to maintain 3.0 average to get the hope scholarship...but because of my epidemic and the stress and hard anxiety placed upon me by it...the only thing i was focused on during school was surviving eberrasment and presecution of others.....trying desperately not to be seen by others and distance my self even from the people i enjoyed so much back in middle school.

It was very hard starting off...what made it so much more horrific is that the girl that i had liked from the start of 8th grade during the course of the year began to like me as well...and my charms...though upon highschool and arriving back at school to see her...things had changed...the week after she found out about my disease...or well the balding anyways....we still talk to this day but not as close or passionately as i would have liked....even now i think she believes my hair has grown back just because i have kept it covered up so well lately...but i know that it hasnt....i wish every day that i could just go back to how things were....but i know it never will...though i pray anyways...this valentines day i did buy her a gift and she loved it of course...but i know in my heart even though i wanted so much of my old life...and to be with her...i could never do so because of my huge bald spots that have also continued to get worse....

When i went to the dermatologist...she gave me lots of shampoos and lotions and things to use but to no avail...i was pretty lazy about it ....and i might be the reason why my hair still hasnt grown back yet...now a days...i cant wash my hair because if i do....it will get very curly because of how long i have grown it....and if it gets curly my hair will look terribly just atrocious....so i dont wash it and try to stay away from water as i can atleast my hair anyways....the only place i feel most comfortable is my own house and with my only friend who knows of my disease..but since ive known him since 3rd grade he hasnt left me because of my disease....

People out there Alopecia Areata is deadly...it can affect your social life your school life your grades your friends the people you love even....for me my parents are very supportive mostly my dad..i brought up the injections and he immediately said no..becuz of the price which i dont think he actually even analyzed fully...i just think he doesnt want to spend anymore money on me....i am a very sickly boy well with my stomach anyways ive always had stomach sickness motion sickness allergic reactions and such since i was little.....and other elements that have caused me a trip to the doctor also surgeys and cat scans alot of stuff that of which..caused thousands of dollars that only my dad and his incredible insurance were paying for...which im grateful for but i look in the end...like i didnt chose to be here or have these problems...i feel a parent if he/she has a child should do w.e it takes to make sure that child has w.e he she needs...whether it be countless surgeries or not because they didnt chose to be here and suffer like this...im sure if it was up to us alot of us would have rather not been born...to avoid all this misory and suffering....i know i would...but thats neither here nor there for this matter...

I no longer go out anymore or even idol the thought of going outdoors...or hand with my old friends no matter how confident i feel about my spots being covered up....i stay in my house now a days fearful of prosecution and descrimination from those who may find out if a wind blows my hair wrong or rain comes down.....ive become so distant from girls that theyve started to think im gay sometimes....i try to stay away from them now because they love my hair...so much and when they get close they have the urge or need to rub it and feel it and rush their fingers through it...which could be very dangerous in my case if they were to rub it around and bam...here comes the whatever...omg you have bald spots and yada yada...i know this already cant you just leave me alone...ive been mocked and teased so much my first year...i was seperated isolated from everyone else....no one wanted to even get close to me....my grades were falling my social life crumbling it was a night mare that i thought...i would never wake up from...i still feel that way but not so much...to some extent...so i understand and feel for those of you who feel they cant leave the house and just want to be bottled up alone....so that no one can mock or make fun of you and torment you...

For those of you out there who suffer from alopecia areata...i wish you luck i give you my blessings and admiration because i know how difficult and hard it is to deal with it...i know your pain and sufferings and i pray to god that he will bless each and everyone of you...with your hair back some day. Because im still keeping this a secret from many i wont give my name but know this..i am a person diagnosed with alopecia areata and your not alone.

Keep looking for help as i have...find real friends who will stick with you no matter what....push your parents to help you with this as much as they possibly can...try to stay as positive as you can because i know that if you dont...you just might suicide and kill yourself i've certainly given the though about suiciding my self...i repeat just how horrible my first year of having it was....i cryed my heart out i drowned myself in pain and misery it was hard....and still is to this day...but i hope and pray every day that maybe just maybe i can wake up in the morning some morning and see that my hair is coming back....but until that day arrives i wish all of you my best.

Join the search for a cure...looking into nutrition and possible ways to cure this outrageous epidemic that is..striking so many young teens and individuals with this plague....idk how i manage to over come the depression i face at times...but i do...BE STRONG!!! You must be strong fight on alopecia victoms fight on. There's still hope for you

i'm definitely going to try this! thank you! this really does make me feel a lot better about my situation. i lost ALL my hair in the last year. it is in the process of growing back. in the mean time i'm wearing a wig. the wigs hair is starting to get gross so i really want my real hair back to get my confidence back up. i've been down for a while but honestly life can be worse. so keep smiling. the more positive you are the better things will get! i used to get the shots also but i eventually became immune to them so i'd recommend to do other things too! :)

I have alopecia as well, i bought this stuff called hairisil spelled somethin like that, and put it on everyday,plus using shampoo and conditioner with ingredients like biotine,aloe,tea tree,ect..all organic like stuff with barely any chemicals, it got my hair to finally grow after using it all this way, but i am having problems with it scabbing over and going bald again after a year...its VERY depressing,stressful, and embarrassing...but stress was the only reason for me to lose my hair. And i never went back to the dermotologist bcuz he didnt give me hope,or even smile..he was rude and gave me topical cortisone and sent me on my way. I just try not to stress too much, and hope my hair will get better in a year or so....i hate it,but i am doing everything natural when it comes to my hair products,oh btw nioxin is best for shampoo&conditioner