On May 20, 2013 I had the Prodisc-L disc replacement surgery done to replace a torn/leaking disc at L5-S1. I'm aware that there will be bruising with this kind of surgery, but the bruising i have is different. At 3 months post-op, I still had significant bruising on my lower back a few levels above my surgery level. It wasn't a solid bruise, but had a more lacy appearance and had a few red streaks thru it. My PT is actually the one who noticed it, so I have no idea how long it had been like that. We decided to go back to using the ice several times a day and e-stim twice a week to see if that reduced the bruising before sending me back to my neuro-surgeon. It worked, and the bruising went away. Well, this weekend, my boyfriend noticed that my back was bruised again. I haven't done anything differently, haven't changed my post-op routine, or done anything to obviously re-injure my back. My PT and I are at a loss as to what could be causing this. It's been 4 months since surgery, and the bruising DID go away before. I'm going to be calling my surgeon this week because I'm getting concerned especially because my pain levels are going up, not down. But I was just wondering if anyone else has had this surgery, and how long their bruising lasted.

I'm maybe not helping directly, but I've read your post about medication-resistant depression (I have feeling I might be facing the same), but did any of your doctors mention the possibility that some of your medications are contributing to prolonged bruising?

I've been warned before my surgery that antidepressant I was on at the time might lead to more pain sensitivity and prolonged bleeding (and it sure did and the AD was useless anyway).