I'm 43 years old about 5 months ago i started to getsharp shooting pains in left pelvic area the pain was either dull.sharp, shooting,aching, as the weeks past i started to get other symptoms.lower adominal cramps during my monthly cyclesometimes the pain radiates to my lower right pelvic area.My periods are very light but the duration of my period cycle has gone from 2-3 days to 5-7 days I also have bloating and very painful bowelment during my cycle.

I went to the Doctors and was told that i should have an ultra sound after 10 weeks my appointment came through and i had my ultra scan and internal scan.i returned back the Doctors for the results i was informed that i had a small fibroid.The Doctor agreed the small fibroid shouldn't be causing the problems i have so he wants me to see a gynecologist.

Does anyone have any clues if the fibroid is the main problem or could there be other issues?

ok ,look it could be endometriosis.how do they find out? ask the doc if a laprascopy (they make a small cut in the bellybutton,not even a half inch) they fill your ab with air to look around,agree before that if there is endometriosis to lazor it before ya wake so ya dont have to be put under 2 times. they should also be able to take the fibroid sist off too. i went thru it .your lucky ,i started with very severe pain with periods at the age of 14. by the time i was 20 they were talking hysterectomy....you arenot any where near that trust me.  look up what i said,the lapraoscopy,and the lazor surgery,it doesnt take much,a few days up and back to work.....good luck,i hope i helped..godbless

Thanks, I also suffered severe pain with periods when i was young from the age 11 until i had my first child, after having my first child menstrual pain was more bearable and just got on with it. I have always suffered but since the pelvic pain has increased and other symptoms are affecting me it's got to the stage i cannot cope anymore,  being 'lucky' may not be the right pharse but I know it could be worse. I'll just have to wait and see what happens at my first gyno appt.

thanks anyway

godbless