Please, can somebody give me any advice how to deal with dementia patient who wanders off? My mother has dementia and few days ago she started to wander at night. Now I’m afraid to leave her alone by night. I know that wandering is a common behavior of persons with memory loss but what can I do?

Hi! I have some suggestions for dealing with this problem. Use doorknobs that prevent you’re your mum from opening the door. You also can place locks on windows and gates and consider electronic alarms on doors. Use soft lighting at night to reduce confusion and put dangerous chemicals, scissors and knives away.

Hi there,
Dementia is a condition that is hard on people. Person who has dementia will change his or hers life in grate manner even that the close family members won’t be able to recognize them. The fact that she wonders of at night is because her memory is weak and she doesn’t remember things. You have to understand that taking care of your mother with dementia will not be an easy task. You will have to give a lot of your time to her in order to look after her. What kind of medication has she been using? How long does she have dementia? I hope this helped you in any way.
Best wishes,
Marco