Hi! My dead had really serious head injury few weeks ago. Now he is better but still we aren’t sure will he be totally ok. Yesterday I heard that he can get vascular dementia. Now I’m worried a lot. Please, does anybody know can head trauma cause vascular dementia? Thanks!

Unfortunately, I need to tell you that it’s possible. The main risk factor for dementia is age. But also I know that people who have sustained serious head injuries are prone to dementia. But you never know. Maybe your father won’t have this problem. You should speak with his doctors about it.

Hi there,
The fact is that dementia can be caused by a small stroke which is often called vascular dementia. You also have to understand that some strokes don’t cause any symptoms of dementia and they are often silent strokes. The risk of dementia increases if you have more than one stroke. There can also be a chronically damage brain blood vessels. This condition can also cause vascular dementia and they are done by wear and tear of vessels caused by age, also by diabetes or high blood pressure. Brian hemorrhage is also a condition that can cause vascular dementia. I hope that this helped you a bit with vascular dementia problem.
All the best,
Danella