My mother is 87 and has been diagnosed with the onset of dementia. Given her current health condition (high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetic, and a heavy smoker) she recently had a mini-stroke. Her memory is not what it was, she has trouble finding the right words to use, she gets bored easily, she is aggetated most of the time, she is angry and in denial that she had a stroke. She has difficulty walking due to poor circulation. She had very little activity due to her difficulty walking. Her attention span has deminished. She doesn't read books or work crossword puzzles any longer. She is also experiencing loss of bladder control. I believe she has vascular dementia. The doctors have her on no medication and even in the hospital never had her on any type of IV fluids or medicine. I am trying to determine the stages of vascular dementia so that I am able to follow her condition and know when she needs a care giver to stay with her in her home. Most medical physicians are vague about diagnosing this condition and won't give specific information. Can anyone give me or direct me to online information to the stages of vascular dementia? Thanks.

IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT MY 87 YEAR OLD MOM. WE DIDN`T PICK UP ON THE SIGN`S OF THINGS SHE WOULD SAY WHEN IT STARTED GETTING DARK, OR EVEN SOME THINGS SHE SAID IN THE DAY TIME..SHE STARTED SAYING THINGS LIKE...I AM SCARED TO DEATH TO STAY HERE....SHE HAS ALWAYS STAYED BY HER SELF,  SINCE MY DAD PASSED AWAY IN 1987...THEN SHE USE TO LOVE TO WATCH..NCIS...AND SHE TOLD ME A FEW WEEKS THAT SHE CAN`T WATCH IT NO MORE, THAT IT SCARES HER...SHE GETS CONFUSED SO EASY AND HAS LOST INTEREST IN HER SEWING, CRAFTS, ECT....SHE SEEMS SOME WHAT BETTER IN THE DAY, AT TIMES...WE ARE WATCHING HER CLOSE NOW AND THE FAMILY IS TAKEING TURNS STAYING WITH HER..SHE HAS TO HAVE A LIGHT ON AT NIGHT.

DFC, I SEE YA POSTED THIS ABOUT YOUR MOM ON 11/15/10...I SURE HOPE BY NOW THAT THE DOCTOR HAS GOTTEN HER ON SOME ARICEPT OR RAZADYNE 4MG...I HAVE BEEN DOING SO MUCH RESEARCH AND THAT IS WHAT IS GIVEN FOR  SUN DOWNERS DEMENTIA OR VAS. DEMENTIA..I THINK THERE WAS 4 OR 5 DIFFERENT TYPES OF DEMENTIA..ALSO PLEASE HAVE YOUR MOM CHECKED FOR BLADDER INFECTIONS EVERY MONTH OR SO...MY MOM IS CHECKED ONCE A MONTH...SHE WOULD GET THEM AND IT WOULD CAUSE HER TO ACT WHAT I CALL LOOPY...FOR HER BLADDER LOSS CONTROL, HER DOCTOR GAVE HER ENABLEX...IT HAS HELPED HER AND HELPED WITH HER BOWELS TO..

MY MOM HAS A DOCTOR APPT. NEXT TUESDAY AND SHE WILL BE SET UP FOR A CT SCAN OF THE HEAD TO SEE IF IT IS DEMENTIA AND SOME COMPLETE BLOOD WORK...BUT FROM WHAT I HAVE READ ON THE INTERNET ABOUT THIS ALFUL DEMENTIA, I BELIEVE MY MOM HAS IT, BUT WE WANT THE TEST DONE TO MAKE SURE..THE FUTURE FOR HER DON`T LOOK PRETTY, BUT WITH THE MEDS FOR THIS AND LOTS OF PRAYERS AND PATIENCE, WE WILL MAKE IT AND JUST TRY TO MAKE MOM AS COMFORTABLE AS WE CAN...

WRITE IF YA LIKE, I WILL ANSWER AND MAYBE EVERYONE ON HERE CAN HELP EACH OTHER...GOD BLESS YOU ALL.