Hi! My grandma had a stroke and now she suffered from dementia. I’m worried because I don’t know does she have an adequate treatment. My parents and I want to help her as much as we can. Does anybody know what kind of treatment is referable for stroke-related dementia? Thank you!

Hi! My grandma also has this kind of dementia. The most important thing is the prevention of new strokes. Because of that she needs to control major vascular risk factors. I know that drug treatment is primarily used to prevent further worsening of vascular dementia. Also she must be on certain diet and she’s using supplements of vitamin B-6 and vitamin B-12.

I am so sorry to hear that your grandmother had stroke and as a consequence dementia. Unfortunately there is no cure for thus condition and the only thing you and your family can do is to be supportive and take care of her the best you can as long as you can.

The doctor will inform you about medications that she will need to take and the dosage. These should prevent severe symptoms of dementia and reduce symptoms to become very severe.

Also your doctor can suggest some alternative methods but this is up to you to decide what you want and what your possibilities are.

I hope that you will manage to get through this period.