Hello! My parents and I need some good advice. My grandpa is very old and sick. He has vascular dementia. We try to give him good care. It’s very hard to live with him and we don’t know what to do. Is it common that vascular dementia patients suffer from regressive behavior?

I feel sorry for you and your family. My grandfather also had dementia. You should know that, as dementia progresses, more troubling behaviors are observed. The patients with dementia can be very aggressive and unfeeling. They usually start to wander and have serious sleep disorders. You maybe can think about placement in institutions.

Hello there,

First of all I am so sorry to hear that your grandfather is diagnosed with dementia and I can totally relate with your situation because my cousin has the same condition. in the beginning the symptoms of dementia can be somewhat reduced and slowed down but over time, even if you are increasing the amount of medications he will start to change his behavior and not in a good way.

For example it can happen that he will totally forget about something and this includes going back home from nearby park. Also he will not be able to control his behavior so learn to deal with this as fast as possible. I know that is hard but what other choice do you have.