My grandfather has high blood pressure for a long time. When we went to see a doctor he told us that he has arteriosclerosis of carotid arteries. Those are arteries that go toward brain, which might cause the problems. He was told that he suffers from vascular dementia. I would like to know what the survival rate is for vascular dementia patients.

Cerebral vascular dementia is the second most common cause for dementia in older people. 20% of people suffering from dementia have cerebral vascular dementia. Mechanism of this condition is destruction of cerebral tissue and infarct of certain brain parts. I am not so sure about the survival rate, but I do know that hypertension and arteriosclerosis has to be treated in order to prevent further development of this disease.

Hi there,
Vascular dementia is a problem that happens to a lot of elderly people. How old is your grandfather? The fact is that dementia usually is developed after the stroke or some other brain injury. Vascular dementia also can result from other conditions that damage blood vessels and reduce circulation. The fact is that there is no cure for dementia. Things can only be managed and the problem can be reduced a little bit. So your grandfather will now need all the care that he can get. You and your family have to understand that he will not be able to function normally and as he ages things will only get worse. Consult his doctor about the care plan.
Best wishes,
Marco