My husband's sex drive doesn't seem to be what it was before he was diagnosed with diabetes. It was never really great anyway, and one of the things I noticed before he was diagnosed was that he seemed less and less interested in sex. After the diagnosis and insulin therapy started, his sex drive dropped off even more. Is that common with diabetics?

It sounds like your husband has had a low sex drive (libido) for some time.  This is often associated with low testosterone or Low T.  To find out, you can have a testosterone test done.  Diabetes can certainly contribute to sexual issues but more so for erection issues.  You husband may have low blood pressure and poor circulation.  This can make it very difficult to get a good erection and maintain it.  The fact that he is having problems may wear heavy on his mind creating stress which is further compounding the issue.  You might try  encouraging your husband to talk with his doctor to see if anything can be done.

Diabetes affects every body system, including the reproductive organs. That said, Susan Ardizzoni is correct, it usually affects erections more than the overal sex drive. However, diabetes can also cause depression which could be another factor that is involved in the lower sex drive of your husband. Talk to your husband, and then ask him if he would also be willing to talk to his doctor about the issue. There may be a solution that includes a medication to help reignite the spark.

Mine went down a little, but I think it's just because I've aged. I don't equate it with diabetes really. I've heard about the erectile dysfunctiong that but I don't really know if that has happened to me or not. My friend has diabetes and he said that his trouble seems to come more from his clinical depression than diabetes. He said that he never noticed before he was depressed that he had any issues with "bedroom stuff."