I need some information about diabetes macular edema and driving...  If I have a diagnosis about macular edema, would they take my license?  Is there a law where they disallow anyone with macular edema to drive?  I would like to know, because my husband is having symptoms of it and the appointment with the eye doctor isn't until next week.  I have a problem knowing the symptoms of macular edema as I googled it and see that it looks like what my husband has.  Please let me know that he can still drive. 

As we all know, one of the things that diabetes affects is our eyes.  When high blood glucose levels occur, it damages the capillaries within the retina.  When leaky blood vessels within the macula cause swelling that interferes with the vision, then the patient has what is called diabetic macular edema (DME). This is the leading cause of vision associated with diabetes.  

The macula is part of the retina of our eyes.  It is responsible for giving us good detailed vision.  It allows us to recognize faces and read words and well and see colors.  When the macula is damaged, it is hard for a person to perceive color or see details.  Peripheral vision stays intake, however, so the person will not be entirely blind.  The person is what we call “legally blind.”   This would cause a person to have difficulty driving and seeing the letters on signs or differentiated things of importance.  It would be unsafe for a person to drive if they cannot recognize the details of the road lines and other things that keep us safe while operating a motor vehicle.

I need some information about diabetes macular edema and driving... If I have a diagnosis about macular edema, would they take my license? Is there a law where they disallow anyone with macular edema to drive? I would like to know, because my husband is having symptoms of it and the appointment with the eye doctor isn't until next week. I have a problem knowing the symptoms of macular edema as I googled it and see that it looks like what my husband has. Please let me know that he can still drive.

Has any of our forum readers have macular edema?  How long was it before your license was revoked because of your vision?  How would you describe your vision now?