I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice about how to eat healthily. I'm 23 years old, but spend too much time feeling ill with various colds and the like, and so have decided that I need to start eating a bit better to try and improve my health.

What I guess I'm really looking for out there is a book that explains exactly what I should and shouldn't eat. For instance, I reckon when I cook myself a stir-fry at home it's reasonably good for me, but I don't get the same impression when I use the local chinese takeaway! No-one teaches you this stuff anywhere, so I've decided to try and take this into my own hands.

The thing that makes this a bit more difficult than just going to the local bookshop, however, is that I'm really skinny (5' 10" and 8 1/2 stone), and I'm guessing that most healthy eating books out there are geared more towards people are looking to lose weight.

So, all in all, can anyone point me in the direction of somewhere I can get info on how to eat healthily without trying to lose any weight?

Thanks

Alt

Legend
Hey Alt,

This is pretty rare that so young guy like you thinks about healthy nutrition, and this is a great example for other young people. It doesn’t matter are you skinny or fat, it’s important to see what you eat. There’s a ton of great books on how to eat healthy, but before you decide to buy one, you should know some facts about healthy nutrition nowadays. It’s well known that a lot of US residents practice very unhealthy nutrition which is mainly based on GMO foods. I think you know what I’m talking about? The food industry in US is under large influence of genetically modified food giants. The food has been modified because of many reasons, but the side effects are not showed directly. It’s a scaring fact that more then 40% American youth is overweight? The main reason is the nutrition and unhealthy food. Fast food and other kind of bad prepared food are the main reasons for obesity in US. Also there’re many other diseases and disorders coming from wrong nutrition, like diabetes, cardio-vascular diseases or gastrointestinal issues. Of course, nutrition is not the only factor for healthy living, but it’s a very important part of it. Together with right nutrition you need to improve other bad habits, like sitting all day and watching TV or playing games on PC, or smoking cigarettes, drinking too much alcohol, drugs, unneeded medicaments, etc. More then that, you need to improve your physical activities, to make sports, or hiking, or jogging, or fitness or any other kind of physical activity which will help you to live a healthy life! Of course, one of most important factors is the environment you live in. If you improve your nutrition and physical activities but you still live in highly toxicities and contaminated environment, these first two improvements will not take effect until you change the environment you live in.

Nowadays, it’s hard to do such an action, because people are depending on their jobs, friends, and the living space, but there’re still some possibilities to improve the daily environment.

You can talk a few daily walks through your city parks (every city has one)
    Avoid your car, walk to school, job or whenever you have a chance
    Organize picnics a few days a week and go somewhere in open nature
    Take bike tours through nature
    Try not to walk through highly trafficked avenues and streets
    Spend more time in park or nature environment

These things are just some small steps you could do to improve your daily health!

Ok, now let’s back to nutrition books. I’ve read several nutrition related books, most of them are bestsellers, and I can recommend following books related to healthy nutrition:

Health and Nutrition Secrets That Can Save Your Life
by Russell L. Blaylock

This book contains chapters which are related to diseases and disorders connected with your nutrition and how to prevent them. Here you can learn a lot about connection of some nutrition supplement to specific disease or disorder.

Public Health Nutrition (Nutrition Society Textbook)
by Michael J. Gibney

This is a great one too. Here you have chapters on how to organize your nutrition and combine it with health and physical activity. Also you can find some dietary recommendations and nutrition strategies, facts and aspects about under- and over-nutrition, a lot of useful information about vitamins, iodines, proteins and mineral deficiency facts. There’re some chapters about child nutrition, coronary disease and nutrition, nutrition for infants and mothers and prevention of diabetes through healthy nutrition, cancer and diet, and so on. This useful book has over 370 pages of very interesting content which could help you to understand what shall be a healthy nutrition!

Anyway, my favorite is “Staying Healthy With Nutrition: The Complete Guide to Diet and Nutritional Medicine”
by Elson M. Haas

This is a bible-book over 800 pages of great content! I learned a lot of things here and I made my own nutrition plan thanks to this book. Here you can find everything about healthy nutrition. The autor starts with the water. The main and life important nutrition supplement. How to choose drinking water? It sounds stupid, but there’re so many good facts about it so it’s a must read book!!! Of course, you can find information about carbohydrates, proteins, fats and oils; digestion and metabolism; vitamins and recommended daily allowances; minerals and macrominerals; digestive support like amino acids and microorganisms; foods diets and environment; dietary habits and
environmental aspects of nutrition; great advices on how build your own healthy diet; your ideal diet and seasonal menu plans and recipes; special diets and supplemental programs, performance enhancement programs, medical treatment program, life stage program, detoxification and healing program, and much more!!!

All those books you can find on Amazon.com or Buy.com or in your next book shop, but I prefer online buy. Just search on Amazon using the name of the books I posted above, and you’ll get all the information!

I hope this will help you!

Hi pseudonim,

Thanks for all the advice. I've started running again recently, so hopefully that will help too! Will take a look at the books you recommended. The bottom one looks the most likely, but at 800 pages could be a bit of a mission!

Thanks

Alt

Legend
No problemo,

You're welcome! ;-)

Pseud0

I'm a 20 yr old female and I've weighed 120lbs for more than eight years and a couple a months ago I finally got to my target weight of 120 lbs (BMI 22.2) and I absolutely love my size. :-D

HOWEVER my belly is what I want to change. It looks really fat an bulges below my tops and I can't wear a bikini anymore!! :'(

I know I need to exercise in order to get that "6 pack" but I don't want to lose the 140lbs that I wanted for years and finally got to. The other thing is that I cannot do crunches 'cause I had a kidney surgery a year ago and doing them pulls against the scar.

HELP PLEASE ! ! ! !

Ok first you can not target just your tummy for fat lose. You can how ever target just your tummy for building muscle. If you just try to 6-packyour abs without diet and cardio you will build muscle under fat. You have to lower your body fat and then build muscle. So with that said through proper diet and cardio work out (walking, running & aerobics) you will burn the unwanted fat and build muscle. Now as far as not being able to do crunches there are several ab excercises out there try leg lifts, palotes, lay on the floor and lift and hold your feet off the ground. But the key is understanding how to lower body fat, you cant turn fat into muscle. so burn it off then and replace it with muscle. Go to these web sites they will help you understand how to get rid of that unwanted tummy of yours.
But remeber what you eat is just as important as how you work out.

**this post is edited by moderator ** web addresses not allowed **

Please read our Terms of Use

I'm 15 and I want to be healthier I'm 5"6 and 6.9 stone I'm skinny but I feel like all my fat is around my organs and cancer and diabetes runs through my family so I want to be healthier and again I'm 15