My mom is 48 and she and my dad have just divorced. She still has difficulties in accepting it so shes depressed and feels very bad. Ive talked to a counselor in my high school and she told me to talk my mom into taking up a certain activity. I think running will be great since in addition to being a good therapeutic influence it will help her to become fit and more content with herself. So, any recommended books on running for women?

Way to go, girl! Thats the spirit. You should encourage your mother not to slide into apathy. Sports are excellent for these situations, because sometimes all the negative energy, frustration and sadness can be overcome by channeling them into something useful, in this case sports. There are numerous good books on running for women. One of them is The Complete Book of Running for Women by Claire Kowalchik. It offers all the necessary details that a woman should know about running. Its good because there are nutrition facts for various kinds of food and suggestions for the healthy diets, various techniques of breathing, useful advice about running after menopause or during pregnancy. I think your mother will find it interesting and it can change her point of view on running.