hii............;-)I am anjani. I am not able to stop eating slate pencils. Is this harmfull to me??????eh I am really very doubtful. I want any suggesiong that eating slate pencils is harmful or not. Please give me any suggestions that i must stop eating slate pencils. But i  really really love eating it.<3:-P

Hi Anjani,

There is almost no toxicity "reported" for graphite as pencil don`t contain lead as believed by majority of people. it is often very high in contamination, up to 25% iron and other compounds. Iron can actually be very harmful.

This is reported by a doctor.

Hope this helps

You are suffering from a disorder called ' PICA '. In this condition, the individual is habituated to eating non food substances such as lead, chalk, clay, sand, soap, even glass sometimes. Slate pencils mainly contain chalk and clay (Kaolin or shale) - this is one of the commonest cravings. The underlying cause is often deficiency of minerals such as iron, zinc and calcium. Often, due to long term consumption of such substances, there is worm infestation of the gut also, which further complicates the picture. better to get the following investigations done - 1. Hemoglobin 2. Calcium levels 3. Zinc levels 4. Folate levels These tests will confirm the underlying deficiency. Accordingly, iron tablets and calcium supplements would be started. 

BE SAFE

I agree with above comments. If still you eat slate pencils then stop it. Slate pencils are harmful and affects longt erm.