Hey guys. So I have heard about this pica eating disorder. I found the information that this is eating disorder that has nothing to do with eating, but I think that I didn't understand this that quite good. So, I was wondering, does anyone of you having this problem? How you can find out that you are having pica eating disorder at first place?

So, can you tell me what are the most common causes of pica eating disorder? How this disorder is manifested? Any typical sings and symptoms or something else?

This is a curiosity, I just want to know more about this. Tnx!

Hey Guest,

Nobody really knows what causes this condition, it is one of those yet undiscovered things and therefore there is no way to prevent this (I think that it definitely has something to do with genetics).

Well, this is probably the most easiest disorder to diagnose. Are you eating stuff that aren't really eatable, things that shouldn't be eaten? Are you maybe eating paint or dirt? If you are, that means that you are probably suffering from pica eating disorder. It is all in your head so I don't really know how can this be treated other than talking to a psychologist.

Causes are unknown, just like Nina wrote above me. I mean, think about it, what could possibly cause someone to start eating paint or dirt? I don't know if these people actually love the taste of this or not, but it has something to do with their mental condition, definitely.

I don't know how would you possibly treat this either. I know that people suffering from this condition have to visit a psychologist and in some cases, even a psychiatrist, but it's weird because these people won't really harm anyone, not even themselves, they just love eating paint or dirt, but they still end up talking to a psychiatrist.

It is a mental illness, nothing else can be the cause of this eating disorder. Genetics kind of seem possible, however, to be the cause of this disorder, but I still doubt it. It is really just a mental illness and maybe you can be more prone to developing this mental illness because of your genetics, that could be it.

Psychologist is very important when someone is suffering from this disorder, not just important, I don't think that you can really fight it without a psychologist. Psychiatrist, well, maybe. Psychiatrists are more like for people with severe mental illnesses, but they could help in this case as well.

Hey guys.

I think that no one can tell you for real what is the cause of it. It manifests on the very simple way - people with this type of disorder eat so many things that has no any nutritional value. But, there is no actually just any single cause of pica. In some cases, a deficiency in iron, zinc, or another nutrient may be associated with pica but no one can tell you this for sure. For example, anemia, or iron deficiency, may be the underlying cause of pica in pregnant women. But still, it is hard to tell what the exact cause is. 

I have to agree with Guest who wrote his post two days ago. That is mental illness. Nothing else. And I also do believe that this is the only cause of it. Also, people with certain mental health conditions such as schizophrenia and obsessive-compulsive disorder may develop pica as a coping mechanism as well, so if you are dealing with any of those disease, there is a huge chance that this can happens to you. Some people may even enjoy and crave the textures or flavors of certain nonfood items. In some cultures, eating clay is an accepted behavior. It is really hard to tell what the exact cause is.

Good day folks!

I hope that you are doing fine. I recently heard about this type of disorder and I know that those who suffer from this kind of disorder will eat ice, paper, paint, clay, metal objects, etc. So, it is a disorder. But, like others already told you, there is no single diagnostic test for pica. However, since it is linked to deficiencies in the diet, a doctor may perform blood tests to check the levels of iron and zinc in the body. So, when you notice that you have this type of disorder, you should really consult your doctor.